Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bitdefender Internet security 2014 vs Norton Internet security 2014?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_liubomirwm_*

Guest_liubomirwm_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

Hello, i have an expiring license for Bitdefender Internet Security 2014 and i am quite happy with it. It's light on resources and it has a good protection. I have tried Norton for 30 days and it's also light on resources, lighter than Bitdefender. So which suite has better protection. It appears that the independent testing firms show Bitdefender as better and lighter, but i want the opinion of the members in bleeping computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

I would continue to use Bit Defender.

#3 Guest_liubomirwm_*

Guest_liubomirwm_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

I would continue to use Bit Defender.

It blocks Windows SmartScreen. Does it has a file reputation?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:34 PM

What is Windows SmartScreen?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,271 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

For those who may not know.

Windows Defender and Windows SmartScreen are built into Windows 8 and Windows RT and help guard your PC against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software in real time...Windows SmartScreen is a new safety feature in Windows 8...SmartScreen Filter in Internet Explorer helps protect users from phishing and malware attacks by warning you if a website or download location has been reported as unsafe.

Windows Defender and Windows SmartScreen

Microsoft SmartScreen is a phishing and malware filter implemented in several Microsoft products, including Internet Explorer 8 and up, Hotmail, and the Windows 8 operating system. The system is designed to help protect users against attacks that utilize social engineering and drive-by downloads to infect a system by scanning URLs accessed by a user against a server-based blacklist of websites containing known threats.

Microsoft SmartScreen

Since Windows 8 Defender includes anti-virus protection, it may be disabled by the installation of a third-party anti-virus program.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:45 AM

Bitdefender is better I think.If it has been protecting you away from malware, why make a change?

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:12 AM

Although Symantec (Norton) is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it requires numerous services and running processes that consume system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. I have read from other users that Symantec has improved newer versions while others say differently. However, Symantec products can be difficult to remove and remnants are often left behind which require the use of a special removal tool, otherwise you may encounter problems installing a replacement anti-virus. To be fair, other vendors are also using removal tools for the same reason. Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for a free alternative. Further, IMO, Norton is better utilized in an Enterprise system environment protecting many client computers.

#8 Guest_liubomirwm_*

Guest_liubomirwm_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

Norton has 2 processes and both have 0% resource usage of my PC and combined they use around 10-15 MB of RAM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

Yes I did try to indicate that.

...I have read from other users that Symantec has improved newer versions while others say differently...

Let me clarify that statement...I have read from other users that Symantec has improved newer versions so they are not as resource heavy as past versions...while others still say differently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users