Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 and Corrupt OS

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Viking62

Viking62

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:07 PM

I don't have all the details I should but I gotta ask anyway.

Long story short my son bought a dell computer from future shop last November.

Last week he attemted to upgrade windows 8 OS to 8.1.

He ran into problems with the drivers for the wi-fi. Didn't work properly.

He attempted a restore with back-up disc. After the restore when he tried to restart it came up a black screen and said no bootable media detected.

Since it is warranty he took it to future shop.

They just called and said OS is corrupted. $150 to fix.

What do you guys think?

Is this ligit? Is there any other fix available? Is it more likely he got a virus? He was running Kaspersky security.

This doesnt seem right to me. I understand the warranty from dell will only covers hardware but does microsoft not stand behind their software?

We are going to get the computer from future shop today. Can offer more info then if required

Once again I thank this forum,

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viking62

Viking62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

Ok Computer is a Dell Inspiron 15. With OEM version of windows 8. So no disc.

He had made back up discs for the computer. But it looks like disc#2 may be corrupted. When trying to restore operating system it hangs up somewhere on disc 2.

EDIT

Now after umpteen attempts it gets through disc #2 but Says Disc #3 is not the correct disc

EDIT again

I'm thinking he has 2 disc #1's and no disc #3

Edited by Viking62, 23 February 2014 - 07:24 PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,965 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:21 AM

If your son left the factory restore partition intact after upgrading to 8.1 you can do a factory reset. This will wipe any data still on the computer so if you need any data you will have to boot to a linux live CD and transfer the data or take the drive out and connect it to another computer.

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/7319-dell-inspiron-restore-to-factory-default-settings

• Start the computer.
  • As the computer starts (you see the Dell logo) , press the F8 key until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.
  • Press the down arrow to select Repair Your Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu, then press Enter.
  • Specify the language settings that you want, and then click Next.
  • Click Dell Factory Image Restore.
  • In the Dell Factory Image Restore window, click Next.
  • Click to select the check box for Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition.
  • Click Next. The computer is restored to the default factory configuration.
  • When the restore operation is completed, click Finish to restart the computer.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 February 2014 - 08:22 AM.

#4 Viking62

Viking62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:47 AM

Thanks for the reply. I am not home right now and do not have access to the computer. But I believe the factory restore partion is gone. On this computer to get to advanced boot options it says to press F12. Is this correct? Or is F8 still an option?

The longer version is his grandmother bought the computer and didn't have a use for it. So he bought it from her. He has had it less than a week and screwed it up already!

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,965 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:58 AM

F12 is the diagnostic mode. I believe you are right that F8 will not work. See the following link. It explains that if Win8 does not boot, it should automatically go into recover mode. You may be able to get it to boot to recover mode by turning the computer on and off within a short period of time a few times. Dell support will also provide recovery disks for free in the warranty period or for a nominal fee.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4677/t/19476750.aspx

https://www.dell.com/support/diagnostics/us/en/19/nondiagnostichome

If you call Dell and explain the issue they may give you the disks for free.

http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/19/article/Contact-Information/Customer-Support/customer-support-phone-numbers

#6 Viking62

Viking62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:33 PM

Thanks again John

I'm on the phone with Dell now.

They are going to ship us the operating system on a USB stick free of charge then they will call and help with the install.

I will update again when its resolved.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,965 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:57 PM

That's great. Thanks for the update.

#8 Viking62

Viking62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

Problem resolved. Dell came through with operating system and assisted with setting everything up for him.

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users