Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Super slow BIOS loading OS...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

First, a little background. Back in the fall, I installed Ubuntu on a second and separate hard drive (this was "homework" for repurposing my mother's ancient Dell). I still wanted to have access to Win7, of course, so I had GRUB2 installed in order to dual-boot. Worked fine, except the OS loading in BIOS took forever. I regarded it as a quirk of GRUB2. Now that I don't need Ubuntu anymore, I went ahead and deleted and reformatted my second hard drive back to its original purpose of being a back-up. After some initial trouble booting into Win7, due to the boot order in BIOS, everything is *almost* back to normal.

Almost, because the OS loading in BIOS is still slow and acting as if GRUB2 is still installed (it probably is, somewhere in the MBR).

Before any of you jump in and say to use my Win7 install or repair CD and run the boot repair option, I already did that. A few times. I also ran the bootrec /fixmbr and /fixboot commands to no avail. Again, I did that a few times too. Earlier, I tried the rebuildbcd command, but I guess it didn't work entirely because some of the commands weren't recognized (I was using Microsoft Support's own guideline, maybe it wasn't thorough, you guys tell me: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392).

It's not a huge deal, I can still boot into Win7, but I'd LOVE to return my MBR back to the way it was before my whole Ubuntu and dual-boot adventure.

*Edit* I seem to have TWO boot partitions now, one on my C: drive and a new, dedicated one in E: drive. What the heck? E: drive is listed as System Reserved, 100mb in size, and is NTFS.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Venek, 23 February 2014 - 11:44 AM.

UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:19 PM

The system reserved are the boot files for Windows.  This is not a bootable partition.

Edited by dc3, 23 February 2014 - 01:20 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users