Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to switch secondary hard drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pcole06

pcole06

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

What i am interested in is being capable of switching the second hard drive in my PC.

Since i only need to use it perhaps once a week to backup my primary hard drive then it seems like it is placing unnecessary wear on it by having it running all the time.

My hard drives are sata and strung together so than the wires leave my first hard drive and terminate in the other {the one I use for backing up} 

Which wire would i have to cut  to allow it to be possible to switch the hard drive on has and when required. My intention was placing a switch on one of the wires if this is at all possible.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,978 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:27 PM

An unusual request, but if you look at a SATA power connector you will see it contains four wires :  two black (0V), one red (+12V) and one yellow (+5V).

You will need a DPST (Double Pole Single Throw) switch rated at at least 1A, then cut and extend the yellow and red wires so they reach wherever you are going to put the switch. Before you start on this, turn off the computer, disconnect from the mains, and disconnect the SATA power lead(s) from the computer. Run the yellow wire through one side of the switch, and the red one through the other. Do your cutting and soldering on the bench, not inside the computer. And remember anti-static precautions.

A more conventional way of achieving this object would be to use an external USB hard drive - you would only need to connect it while doing back-ups and restores. You could then use your second hard drive for data.

I deleted your duplicated post.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

I'd recommend installing a drive cage.  The model you would need would depend on your case and drives, but it would give you the ability to easily remove the drive.

I don't see messing with the power cable going well.

#4 pcole06

pcole06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

Thanks for your replies!

The easiest option would be using an external HD, sometimes the obvious doesn't always come to mind!

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:09 PM

Here are listings for hard drive switches http://www.ebay.com/bhp/hard-drive-switch

Making Your Own http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/82086-build-your-own-sata-hard-drive-switch

If You go External drive I hope You have USB3 for speed.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 pcole06

pcole06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:39 PM

Having each drive being bootable together with enhanced life expectancy and reduced power consumption is very appealing!

Thanks Roger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users