Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Folder

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 theonlybuster

theonlybuster

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:53 AM

Computer: Windows XP SP3 (Desktop)

I've been using an older desktop computer as sort of a home server for home movies, music, and miscellaneous files. 

I set aside a folder in the C-Drive to house the files.  It works just fine when I connect to it via other computers in my home.

The other day I added an additional harddrive to it to get more space for storage.  Since it's an additional hard drive, I simply formatted it, and made one simple folder.  I went through the sharing options to make it into a shared folder.  The icon changed to a folder with a hand under it (Shared folder icon), but when I attempt to connect to it from another computer it says I don't have permission to access. 

Now I can see the folder from my computer, but I cannot connect to it. 

I faintly remember having a similar problem with this computer making a network folder in the past, but that was roughly 3yrs ago when I first made this into a "Storage computer"

Now though this new folder is giving me this error, the original shared folder is working just fine.  Now I'm under the impression that I HAVE to create another shared folder as a simple shortcut won't work seeing as they're on 2 separate hard drives. 

Any insight as to why I'm getting this error? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,837 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:41 PM

IME (which isn't all-extensive)...you should check whether the new folder/partition has been added to My Network Places.  For whatever reason, I find that changes of this type are not necessarily recognized on the existing network setup (Network Places remain the same) and the way that I correct it it to simply reboot the system and allow the adjusted network settings to recognize the new drive/partition.

Louis

#3 theonlybuster

theonlybuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:37 AM

IME (which isn't all-extensive)...you should check whether the new folder/partition has been added to My Network Places.  For whatever reason, I find that changes of this type are not necessarily recognized on the existing network setup (Network Places remain the same) and the way that I correct it it to simply reboot the system and allow the adjusted network settings to recognize the new drive/partition.

Louis

It shows up in the network places and I can see the new shared folder on other computers.  But when I attempt to access the folder I get the "You don't have permission to access..." error.

I've also tried re-partitioning, setting up the network folder, then rebooting, and then trying to access the folder and still no luck

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,837 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:04 AM

I have no idea.

The only time that I run into anything similar is when I try to access something (in Docs/Settings group) which has not been specifically shared.  Even though I've shared the Docs/Settings group...some files/folders will yield the "no access" message unless they are specifically shared.  If your folder/files are not in that group...I have no explanation/understanding why you have a problem with permissions.

Have you checked the permissions for access to that drive/partition/folder?  In My Computeer...right-click on Properties...then click the Security tab...take a look at permisions for that drive and that folder, please.  Administrators/Everyone should have full control.

Louis

#5 theonlybuster

theonlybuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:50 AM

I have no idea.

The only time that I run into anything similar is when I try to access something (in Docs/Settings group) which has not been specifically shared.  Even though I've shared the Docs/Settings group...some files/folders will yield the "no access" message unless they are specifically shared.  If your folder/files are not in that group...I have no explanation/understanding why you have a problem with permissions.

Have you checked the permissions for access to that drive/partition/folder?  In My Computeer...right-click on Properties...then click the Security tab...take a look at permisions for that drive and that folder, please.  Administrators/Everyone should have full control.

Louis

Yes, I've gone through, I've given "Everyone" Full control, I've also gone through each user and given them full control. 

I've even going through the Computer Manager to double check the sharing settings. 

I remember when I originally set this up years ago it was a pain and a half. 

I'm honestly getting to the point where I'm just going to transfer to the original network drive and then manually log into the desktop and transfer it to the correct hard drive. 

#6 theonlybuster

theonlybuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

Well I got it to work.  In the event someone else is having the same issue OR years from now if I can't remember what I did...

I wiped the hard drive and deleted all folders and files (was only a couple), then rebooted.  Reformatted the drive using exFAT, then rebooted.  Set the drive as a network drive, and again rebooted.  Double checked the settings (didn't change permissions - left them at their defaults), checked access to network drive from another computer and voila it worked. 

Not sure what the issue was, not sure if the computer just got annoyed with me tinkering and messing with settings then rebooting, but now it appears to be working correctly.

Louis, I do appreciate your input and time. 

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,837 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:14 PM

Glad you resolved it...whatever it was.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users