Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

long freezes working with Sandisk Cruzer Extreme stick

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sisiphos

Sisiphos

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:01 AM

Hello,

I seem to have a problem with the usb-stick that I bought some months ago. I wanted to replace my old usb stick because it seemed to have become unreliable and so I bought this Sandisk Cruzer Extreme 16 GB. This is a usb 3.0 stick and it is very fast.

However since some weeks now I have been troubled by a phenomenon that repeats itself: On the stick is a portable version of Thunderbird and I use it daily. Frequently while I am looking into my postings Thunderbird seems to be frozen, but not in any usual way,Thunderbird's window is covered by a semi-transparant white-isch layer. Clicking on any spot in the window gives no result, only the mouse cursor changes into such a little moving round thing that means ' I am busy, wait please'.

I still can play a little game of Patience, for exemple, but cannot continue in Thunderbird and have to wait until 'something' decides for me that I am allowed to proceed. I feel like a hostage of my computer.

Today I saw the same phenomenon with a program (FreeFilesync) I used to synchronize between a harddisk and the stick. It lasts sometimes half an hour before I am allowed to continue!

Nowhere I can find the cause of this, not even in the Windows' logfiles (for as far as I understand what they mean). It is about a computer and a stick that are being scanned very frequently for malware and the integrity of the stick a just controled and it was all right: no errors.

Who can help me?

Sisiphos

Data of config:

- cpu: Intel core i5-3570K

- memory: 8 GB ddr3

- mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus

- usb version supported: v.3.0

- system drive is a Samsung ssd 840 series with plenty of space

++++++++++++

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 larryhyman

larryhyman

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:47 PM

I get that too with the same stick, I think the brand is just cheap, you could try reformatting the stick, please hit the button to restore device defaults and make sure quick format is checked (failure to do so could make you stick unusable)

#3 Sisiphos

Sisiphos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:18 PM

I get that too with the same stick, I think the brand is just cheap, you could try reformatting the stick, please hit the button to restore device defaults and make sure quick format is checked (failure to do so could make you stick unusable)

Well, so very cheap this brand is not, but indeed I see that many guys have complaints about Sandisk usb-sticks, though I did not find anybody with the same complaint concerning the same product. You are the first. :-)

Reformatting the stick seems rational enough however 'restore device defaults and make sure quick format is checked' seems odd to me. Why would a full format ruin the stick?

Sisiphos

#4 Sisiphos

Sisiphos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

Hello HarryHyman,

I did not hit the button to restore device defaults. The stick was formatted by me right after receiving it in ntfs format. So today I made W7 control the stick for errors (and it found one!) and quick-formatted the thing after the control. Then I copied the backup back to the stick and made W7 control the stick another time: no errors.

I am very curious to know if this will help. :-)

Sisiphos

#5 larryhyman

larryhyman

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:33 PM

1) Taking my stick and sticking it in the USB port

2) Going to my computer (W7 32 bit)

3) Doing a right click on stick and choosing format

4) Fat32 and quick format selected by default

5) Hitting restore drive defaults

6) It still says Fat32, quick format

IMHO, I have formatted many usb sticks with NTFS and they died on me a couple of days later....

Please see:

http://www.howtogeek.com/177529/htg-explains-why-are-removable-drives-still-using-fat32-instead-of-ntfs/

and

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/312

also, in my experience, after loosing a couple of usb keys because the were formatted in ntfs, I decided to start using "restore device defaults" because I do not have money to throw in the trash.

one company even refused my warrantee because I used NTFS instead of FAT32

PS: If you are have problems with your flash drive, contact scandisk as they have a lifetime warrantee

PPS: when I say cheap, I don't mean in price, I just find that other brand names are better quality

PPPS: ummm......    my name is Larry...... My son is Harry

Thanks

PPPPS: I maybe totally wrong about everything (as they are selling some flash drives already formatted in NTFS (That is why it pays to click on restore device defaults), but in any case you have a lifetime warrantee, maybe it's worth it to just contact scandisk and ask them.......

#6 Sisiphos

Sisiphos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

1) Taking my stick and sticking it in the USB port

2) Going to my computer (W7 32 bit)

3) Doing a right click on stick and choosing format

4) Fat32 and quick format selected by default

5) Hitting restore drive defaults

6) It still says Fat32, quick format

IMHO, I have formatted many usb sticks with NTFS and they died on me a couple of days later....

Please see:

http://www.howtogeek.com/177529/htg-explains-why-are-removable-drives-still-using-fat32-instead-of-ntfs/

and

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/312

also, in my experience, after loosing a couple of usb keys because the were formatted in ntfs, I decided to start using "restore device defaults" because I do not have money to throw in the trash.

one company even refused my warrantee because I used NTFS instead of FAT32

PS: If you are have problems with your flash drive, contact scandisk as they have a lifetime warrantee

PPS: when I say cheap, I don't mean in price, I just find that other brand names are better quality

PPPS: ummm......    my name is Larry...... My son is Harry

Thanks

PPPPS: I maybe totally wrong about everything (as they are selling some flash drives already formatted in NTFS (That is why it pays to click on restore device defaults), but in any case you have a lifetime warrantee, maybe it's worth it to just contact scandisk and ask them.......

Following in second instance your advise did not cure the stick either so I've decided to ditch the thing and will not buy any usb-stick from Sandisk evermore, having read some of the many complaints about their products that you can find on the Web.

But I thank you Harry for having tried to help me out of the situation.

Sisiphos

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:03 PM

Hello,
I would make sure that write caching is enabled on the flash drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/10392-write-caching-enable-disable.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 March 2014 - 05:03 PM.

#8 Sisiphos

Sisiphos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:43 PM

Hello,
I would make sure that write caching is enabled on the flash drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/10392-write-caching-enable-disable.html

Thank you for reacting. I have put the stick into the computer and looked at the recommanded settings: those were already there... so it is not because of these settings being wrong that the stick malfunctioned.

Sisiphos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users