Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External hard drive not recognised!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bradner

Bradner

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:46 AM

Hallo guys. I am trying to extract some files from my EHD but i cannot. I plug it into a usb port and it is not recognised. If i connect him at another usb port it recognised. There is no problem with this specific port because if something else is connected it recognised and works properly. 

When i connect the hard drive there is the connection sound and then disconnection sound. 

Can you help me?

Edited by hamluis, 23 February 2014 - 10:44 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

It could be that the USB port is shutting down after the external hdd is connected.

When this happens open the Device Manager and right click on top icon in the tree, this should have the name of the computer.  

Then choose "Scan for hardware changes", this will force the USB port to power up.

Scroll down to Universal Serial Bus controllers and expand the tree.

Scroll down to Mass Storage Device and see if there are any yellow warning icons or red error icons.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Bradner

Bradner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

Please be more specific. I open device manager and then right click on the name of my pc.

I cant find anything like scan for hardware changes! 

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:26 AM

In the picture below you will see the entire list of Device Manager icons.  The icon at the top of the list (outlined in red in the picture below) is the icon you want to right click on.

devicemanager_zps28ea23a7.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users