Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

post cards

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:23 AM

HI,Has anybody heard of or used what is called a POST CARD used to dianogsed problems with a PC,THANKS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

Amazon.com > Motherboard Diagnostic Card

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:47 PM

I bought one years ago... has been sat gathering dust ever since. lol

Always just listened to the beeps in those situations.

My current mobo has a alpha-numerical LED info like those, on board. A flashing skull with light up eyes also... it must be quality stuff.. hahah.

Edited by TsVk!, 25 February 2014 - 11:47 PM.

#4 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:01 PM

Some extra info.

During motherboard initialisation (before the operating system starts to load), the BIOS writes numbers to a diagnostic port as it performs each step of starting up. With a knowledge of those numbers (which are effectively manufacturer dependant) you can identify at exactly which stage of start up a 'dead' motherboard failed. A Post card (as linked to in #2) or TsVk!'s 2 hex digit seven segment LED display display codes written to the diagnostic port. TsVk!'s beep codes are a coarser indication of the initialisation failure point.

In order to make any sense of the codes, you do need as list of codes appropriate to your board and a fairly deep knowledge of how motherboards work.Many, Many yeas ago, I was tech manager at a PC builder company in the UK, I built my own post card (as they were not widely available back then), and used it to test returns. Now, for occasional use, I'd not bother with a discrete post cards. I'd used the on-board 2 digit hex display of the post code if it existed, or the beep codes if it did not (once upon a time I'd have just sniffed the board!)

Unless you are in the trade and dealing with many PCs, it's not worth buying a separate POST code board - the beep codes and other diagnostic lights on the board will be enough to tell you if it is a memory, display or CPU initialisation fault. Anything more than that and you will be RMAing the board.

..rd. A flashing skull with light up eyes also... it must be quality stuff.. hahah.

I have one of those as well, or at least one of its siblings... ... Sadly it turned out to be far from the quality that I used to associate with that manufacturer, and I will not be sad to see the passing of that manufacturers mobo division (whereas one I might have been).  The board never worked right with a 3rd gen I7 processor in it...  And yes - I spent hours staring at intermittent post codes on the boards hex display trying to get the manufacturer to recognise that their Ivy-bridge capable bioses for this particular board were crap!... In the end I cut my losses, and bought a mobo that actually worked from another manufacturer to use as my main PC.

The dodgy board, electric blue skull and all, now leads a far less interesting life than it could have had, running on an i5 2nd gen CPU and acting as a virtual host for testing server configurations, and never getting a chance to do what real "Extreme series" boards do.  Serves it right for crossing me :)

x64

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:51 PM

I had trouble with that board also, with an i7 processor... I removed the pci NVidia card and the problems went away. :whistle:

Fortunate I don't actually need the additional graphics card or it would have been demoted to a test machine role also.

#6 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:26 PM

Hello! I use the free version. Not sure it's that great.

http://www.7byte.com/index.php?page=hotcpu

PS the pro version says it does more????

Edited by donetao, 06 May 2014 - 06:30 PM.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:14 PM

think you got the wrong end of the stick there mate, we are talking about post test cards and mobos...

#8 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:23 PM

Here are my test results with the software. I guess every thing is good?? Oh well I went through the test and saved the resuts , but as usal, can't make attactment. Some times I can make a attactment. Some times I can't! Don't understand that. Oh well I tried to share my results. :bubbles:

Edited by donetao, 06 May 2014 - 07:25 PM.

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:27 PM

huh?

donetao, you need to start your own thread if you are having an issue and need assistance or advice, please.

your posts are off-topic to this discussion.

#10 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:29 PM

think you got the wrong end of the stick there mate, we are talking about post test cards and mobos...

Ok sorry mate!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users