Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS U31SD webcam not working

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jamsgry

jamsgry

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:02 AM

So the built in webcam on my ASUS U31SD laptop (Windows 7 64bit) has not been working for a while. It does not show up in the device manager, and in programs that give me a list of available webcams (like Skype) I only see "ASUS Virtual Camera" and not the actual camera. (In Skype, if you go into video settings, it just shows a black rectangle with the loading symbol in the middle).

In addition, my laptop constantly has a message popping up saying "USB Device Not Recognized", which I believe could be related. 

I visited the ASUS website, and searched for drivers for my laptop model. The only driver related to the webcam was "ASUS Virtual Camera Utility" which I installed, but that did not fix the issue. I also updated the bios, and checked it there to see if there was any options disabling the camera, but there was not.

I've had this laptop for about two and a half years now, and in the first few years I never actually tried to use the camera. It was only a few months ago I tried for the first time and had this issue.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:12 AM

Check this post, see if the Manycam thing works for you also.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/524953/acer-crystal-webcam-wont-start-up/

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:26 AM

In Device Manager, click on Scan for hardware changes.  If any are found allow drivers to be installed, including using Windows Update to search for drivers.

#4 jamsgry

jamsgry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:04 PM

Hey thanks for the replies. Unfortunately neither of them worked. Manycam just gives me a black rectangle where the picture should be, and device manager doesn't find anything.

#5 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:54 PM

Did a little research. The camera uses the Windows 7 built-in driver. So if you are not seeing the camera or an unknown device in Device Manager, it suggests that the camera is faulty.

#6 jamsgry

jamsgry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

There is an "unknown device" that appears under the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" section in the device manager. Any attempt to update the driver for this causes it to tell me the driver is already up to date, If I uninstall it, it reappears when I "scan for hardware changes" (and tells me "device driver software was not successfully installed).

#7 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

In Device Manager, uninstalll the unknown device. Then uninstall each Universal Serial Bus Controller. Reboot your system - do NOT scan for hardware changes.

#8 jamsgry

jamsgry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

Alright I tried that. When I restart the computer and log in it installs most of the USB drivers again on it's own, but gives me the "device driver software was not successfully installed", and then a look in the device manager reveals it to look the same as before I uninstalled them (ie. still an "unknown device").

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,655 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:51 PM

Try the following. Unplug any power cord. Remove the battery. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the battery and reboot.

#10 jamsgry

jamsgry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:36 PM

I'm afraid that did not fix the issue either.

EDIT: actually, after leaving my computer for about 10 minutes something happened. I came back and there was a pop up saying a driver had been successfully installed. So most excited, I clicked on Skype to see if the camera was working. It did indeed appear on the list of cameras, but when I clicked on it it said something along the lines of "not working. Try closing other programs using the camera". No other programs were running that would be using the camera, and a few minutes later I got the message saying "USB device not recognized" again, and the camera was no longer in the list on Skype.

EDIT again: the "ASUS USB 2.0 WebCam" is now showing up again in Skype, but just showing a black rectangle with the loading symbol in the middle. In addition, the unknown device is now no longer in the device manager, and has been replaced by "USB Composite Device".

Edited by jamsgry, 24 February 2014 - 12:01 AM.

#11 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:28 AM

In Device Manager, can you right click on the USB Composite Device (or Unknown Device if it has gone back to that) entry and select Properties.

On the Details tab, click on the Property drop-down list and select Hardware Ids.  Right click on the top value in the lower pane and select Copy.

Paste the result in a post, please.

#12 jamsgry

jamsgry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

Hey all.

So I turned my computer on this morning, and checked the webcam, and it appears to be working now for the first time in months :) I guess one of you guys suggestions worked with some sort of delayed response or something. So thanks heaps for the help :) it is much appreciated :)

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,768 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:53 PM

Manycam needs to be selected within Skype, maybe the reboot fixed it.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users