Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can you be attacked by identity theft if you have bad credit?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:52 AM

:tophat: hi you larryhyman, its it nice to meet,

yes, i would have to agree that pre-paid cards are the best.
not that i agree with purchasing ANYTHING online, but "if" you have to, not that you should or do it often, then this would be the way to go.
i don't know, maybe i'm just old fashioned, but it rather seems a whole lot safer to buy through the postal service route.
though i have to admit, it is a bit tempting to make purchases online because of the "ease" of doing so.

i just recently heard that the fastest growing crimes are phising and identity theft!!!

hi again quietman7, my buddy 'ole pal!

the person that it happened to didn't have their account hcked/compromised, but
[this is for larryhyman] the bank was still notified anyways and a fraud report was filed.

yes, i have started to notice that there are several things that need to be done in this type of situation, and so i am starting to compile a list of stuff that you need to do to prevent a hcker from getting in and in HOW to secure your network. that is what i am currently in the process of working on right now.

thank you guys,
sincerely,

:welcome: SECURITY

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:10 AM

Phishing is an Internet scam that uses spoofed email and fraudulent Web sites which appear to come from or masquerade as legitimate sources. The fake emails and web sites are usually created by random attackers and designed to fool respondents into disclosing sensitive personal or financial data which can then be used for financial or identity theft. The email directs the user to visit a web site where they are asked to update personal information such as passwords, user names, and provide credit card, social security, and bank account numbers, that the legitimate organization already has. The term Phishing, sometimes referred to as brand spoofing or carding, was derived from the sport of "fishing". The idea being that enticing bait is thrown out to lure or tempt someone into biting it, then setting the hook to make the catch.

* Breaking Down the Anatomy of a Phishing Email

Spear Phishing is a highly targeted and coordinated form of phishing using spoofed email messages focused toward a specific target audience that would have a higher likelihood of opening the email. Spear phishing is generally directed against employees or members within a government agency, organization, specific ompany or group by attackers looking for financial information, military information, trade secrets, etc. Fraudulent emails and web sites related to spear phishing may also contain malicious code which can spread infection.

* FBI on Spear Phishing
* Spear-Phishing Email: Most Favored APT Attack Bait

How to Avoid Phishing Scams:Test your Phishing IQ:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#18 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,411 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

Rather than clearing the information being held by various sites you should be monitoring your credit cards either on line or at a bare minimum looking over your monthly statements.  Provided you notify your credit card company in a timely manner you can have fraudulent items removed.

For shopping on line, many credit card companies allow you  to create one time use credit card numbers that are connected to your account.

There are more than sufficient credit card protections in place, provided you monitor your credit card charges.  I do not know if you would get these same protections on a prepaid card.  I myself have had my credit cards prevent out of the normal purchases, even when I notified them in advance that I would be making the purchases.  They do not want fraudulent charges even more than you.

#19 larryhyman

larryhyman

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

Well, I don't use credit cards at all ever, I do use Paypal, however, I only transfer funds to paypal (from my bank) only before I make a purchase, If I can't wait for the transfer, and I need to make the online purchase right away, I go to the corner store and by a prepaid CC.

For those that make a lot of online purchases, do you keep track of every website or every offline store that you use a CC? 

Do you remember Target? All that needs to be done if for one database with one CC number in it to be hacked...

Kind off being street smart or saying no to drugs....

A few years ago, I used to work for a large store. For some reason, everybody's CC (from all the cash registers) ended up in an unprotected and unencrypted database file. When I complained about that, I was told, don't worry about it, the CC company will re-embers any CC fraud. (How many times have we heard that before)

Look, the whole point is this.... If you wear a condom when you have sex or say no to drugs, then why not do your due diligence to protect your CC and banking information...

#20 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,606 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

For those that make a lot of online purchases, do you keep track of every website or every offline store that you use a CC?

I certainly do. I log every purchase so I can check the information with my CC statement. Before it arrives I monitor my bank account for any unauthorized activity or errors.

#21 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:05 AM

hi everybody!!!
Looks like a party all up in here. whoa!
time to break out the apple cider and coffee cake.
its a special occassion.

:step1: fishing(P) with bait: wow -- didn't know the orgin of that, interesting.
the person who had there identity stolen recently was the subject of a phishing attack a long time ago (~1 year), and a mass mailer to everybody on there mailing list. yea, one of those, just like a worm attack. they also did have a nasty BSOD error on their computer as well sometime long ago as well.

me? nay, I'm security.
i run the olympic race of high security my friends.

however, i do like the KNOWLEDGE about "spear" fishing -- didn't know that they used that kind of bait. a really specialized sort of caviar i take it.

the person who had there identity stolen is monitoring there credit status on a 24/7 maximum security detail. oh, just a second -- time to make another round. okay, i'm back.

:warrior: keeping track of purchases online?: not on my watch -- i wouldn't miss it for the olympics. now that is a sight to see.

"For shopping on line, many credit card companies allow you  to create one time use credit card numbers that are connected to your account."
wow RKilroy, i didn't know that! this is great. thanks pal, i'll have to look into it.

"I do not know if you would get these same protections on a prepaid card"
you don't need them because you can CHOOSE "how" much money that you put on the card.
in other words -- you protect yourself.

"A few years ago, I used to work for a large store. For some reason, everybody's CC (from all the cash registers) ended up in an unprotected and unencrypted database file. When I complained about that, I was told, don't worry about it, the CC company will re-embers any CC fraud. (How many times have we heard that before)"
just like i said: "in other words -- you protect yourself."
because if no one else looks out for you, they CAN'T protect you, or are UNABLE to, then it comes down to YOU.
bottom line. or bottom dollar as they say. but if you don't then i hope it doesn't run you down to the bottom of your pocket, the bottom of the barrel, or be thrown down to the bottom of a well: kind of dark in there, you don't know what's happening to you if identity theft happens to you -- applying for all sorts of things.

however, the sad thing is, is that there is really nothing that you can do if it is an employee or employer. because for one thing, you don't KNOW who did it, "and" they have easy access to sensetive information.

so the morale of the story here folks, is that you better wear a condom if you shop at the store!

SECURITY

#22 larryhyman

larryhyman

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:55 AM

LOL

#23 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,606 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:12 AM

Stealing CC information is not the only avenue for hackers. The government stores your personal information in medical records, tax records, college records...all of which have been breached at one time or another. Fortunately this has happened on a large scale yet.

#24 larryhyman

larryhyman

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:08 AM

Have a look at this free movie (Very much On Topic)

http://documentary.net/a-gift-for-the-hackers/

#25 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,606 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

That report says IT companies...just imagine how bad it is in the government which is typically far behind with the technology they use.

#26 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:49 PM

Zeus banking malware hides a crucial file in a photo. http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9246405/Zeus_banking_malware_hides_a_crucial_file_in_a_photo?taxonomyId=17

If you use your smartphone to do banking, the be aware of: Facebook app now reads your smartphone's text messages? THE TRUTH. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/29/facebook_android_privacy_flap/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#27 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

Stealing CC information is not the only avenue for hackers. The government stores your personal information in medical records, tax records, college records...all of which have been breached at one time or another. Fortunately this has happened on a large scale yet.

The most prolific hackers are governments. I know, off topic, but it had to be said.

President Obama praises NSA, offers little in mass surveillance reform. http://www.networkworld.com/news/2014/011714-obama-surveillance-277844.html
PRISM: NSA and GCHQ caught spying on Angry Birds players. http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2325480/prism-nsa-and-gchq-caught-spying-on-angry-birds-players.
GCHQ spied on millions of Yahoo webcam users. http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2331403/gchq-spied-on-millions-of-yahoo-webcam-users
Security researchers urge tech companies to explain their cryptographic choices. http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9246644/Security_researchers_urge_tech_companies_to_explain_their_cryptographic_choices?taxonomyId=17

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#28 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,606 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:32 PM

Yes...a lengthy discussion topic about all that here.

#29 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:40 AM

Crazy Cat,
pretty soon the government won't NEED to spy on us anymore, as if it was us against them, like the peasants are their enemies, because they plan on forcing us to put microchips in our foreheads. total control. if the very very rich :devil: upgrade, then the entire world will become enslaved.
the only thing that the peasants (the common people like you and me who have less than 1 billion dollars) have been able to do in past history, has never been to gain equality with the very very rich, but to prevent the king from gaining Absolute Power.

quietman7,
you have to be as smart as the society that you live in.
so if you live in an advanced civilization, then you have to be an advanced level intelligence and well learned person.
and when your society upgrades, you have to upgrade in your learning with it :step4:

i just hope that someday all people in the world don't lose their individuality and only become a bar code, (though it might not be much worse than how it is today where we are merely numbers on a peice of paper to them, and not lives and real people), and become endentured slaves for the rest of our lives, where everybody has bad credit and worse, all people are in debt

God is my Protector
My Heart is my Ally
Righteousness is my Guide

#30 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,606 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:59 AM

quietman7,
you have to be as smart as the society that you live in.
so if you live in an advanced civilization, then you have to be an advanced level intelligence and well learned person.
and when your society upgrades, you have to upgrade in your learning with it

"You can enlighten someone with knowledge but you can’t make them use it."
"You can put a person in a classroom but you can't make them learn."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users