Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Disk Drive space expands after crashing with loss of all Partitions.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 guddiekay

guddiekay

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:02 PM

Dear Pals, the truth is I still wonder and wish if there is hope for me. But first let me tell my story.
I run a windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit as factory OS on a Compaq Presario CQ57 with a 500GB Seagate HDD.
My pc mistakenly dropped on the floor and even caused the battery to fall out of place. I immediately picked it and replaced it and booted on the system just to see if its ok and it responded just fine.
After about an hour or two out of the fun of look-and-feel, I just installed windows 8 transformation pack v2.0 and I noticed that my system started dragging. I had to shutdown without uninstalling it and later rebooted it but this where the whole issue started.
It couldn't boot up to the desktop and next I saw was the so dreaded BSOD and it came as a flash and quickly restarted so I had to use F8 option to disable restart at system failure then I could see the message on the BSOD saying Unmountable_Boot_Drive. So terrified I had to start applying all the f8 options from safe mode to the bottom in other to logon to the system and uninstall my previous install but to no avail.
So I used the system repair disk I made from the pc to run repairs on the system but noticed that there was no restore point left (all deleted by windows on restart) I also managed to peep into the system still with the repair disk to check if my disk was still ok that was where I found out that my hdd and all its remaining 2 partitions for Recovery and Tools were all gone leaving only one hdd with no size, name or format.
Out of curiosity I disassembled the system and detached the HDD, opened its top cover and had a look of what was inside (saw the platters an all other components).but not under extreme light just little room light that could help me see the screwing back.
I replaced the hdd back into the system, booted it and found the message
Boot device not found
please install an operating system on your hard disk
Hard Disk (3F0)
I had to remove the HDD again and just boot on the pc without hard disk just to know if I affected my HDD more as I opened it and I got same message, Boot device not found please install an operating system on your... meaning that my hdd is gone.
Now I tried to use a usb hdd casing to attach it to my desktop to check if I had a partition on it left or anything becus I knew it will be empty by now. But it dint show up in my computer.
So I went through My computer-manage-disk management.
After some time the Disk management loaded the disk available as follows:

Disk 0
Basic.
465.76GB 100MB-NTFS (C:)146.39GB-NTFS (F:)167.97GB-NTFS (G:)151.30GB-NTFS
online Healthy Healthy Healthy Healthy

Disk 1
Unknown
2048.00GB. 2048.00GB
Not initialized Unallocated

immediately I saw a initialize disk dialogue box asking me for initializing option to choose between MBR and GPT but I closed it as I wont want to cause more harm to my unknown state HDD.
I just knew immediately from the above that Disk 1 was my lost HDD.
My questions now are
1) do I have any hope of any kind of getting my life-gathered files back? (I read a lot about recovery from here .i.e. the part 1-4)
2)why would a 500GB HDD automatically turn to be 2TB? What is my hope?

Please

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

Hard drives are hermetically sealed and should only be opened in a Class 100 or better cleanroom.

Ontrack, Flashback Data and DriveSavers are three well-known companies that can attempt to retrieve your files. Pricing typically runs between a few hundred to a couple of thousand dollars (US).

There is no guarantee that usable data will be recovered however. Physical damage can leave a drive permanently unreadable.

#3 guddiekay

guddiekay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:57 AM

Hi spywaredoctor,
Thanks for replying but the reply does not explain or answer fully my questions here. Let me be more detail.
I checked the class 100 cleanroom stuff and understood what it meant. Lack of knowledge made me make that mistake. That's one.
The othe 3 listed companies have got nothing at this point to do with me for now becus they are all leaguess aross the seas away form my reach even if I was willing to pay what it takes.
Detailed xplanation is what this forum wanted and I did just. To pass my message.
The problem of why a 500gb hdd automatically expands to 2048(2TB) becus it crashed and was xposed to high light(Talking about cleanroom diff) is still not understood or xplained.
Also when I connect it as usb to another pc and open disk management properties to view all available dis on the system, the first I see is a dialogue box titled "initialize disk" with options of choosing either "mbr" or GPT to initialize the disk and then allocate.
Question is:
If I choose either "mbr" or "gpt" to initialize the disk and allocate it.( Make it a functioning disk ev as just an empty partition-u should better under stand than me), can we say the recovery processes that involves partedmagic, testdisk,gparted, hirens boot, recuva, icare, and so much more can now be put to work since its recognized as a new partition now probably with the record that it had partitions running on it?
This is what I want to be focus on with as much professional suggestion as possible. That's why I signed up after reading so much. And that's why this interesting forum exist.
Let great mindz be put to work and see desires accomplished.
And
Replys

#4 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:16 AM

Did you try EaseUS Partition Recovery?

#5 guddiekay

guddiekay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:14 PM

Hi SpywareDoctor,
I did not try software but here is what what I did:
I connect the HDD in question to a system via usb as external device, then on that system I went in to disk management and that was where I got the "initialize disk" option I mention previously asking me to choose either "MBR" or "GPT" to initialize this bad disk and make it ready for allocation.
Now I just that closed that "initialize disk" dialogue box having in mind that the disk is now in the system as "unknown disk-unallocated-2048.00GB (2TB).
And also knowing that if I choose "MBR" from that "initialize disk" option, a new MBR will be written to the disk and don't know the level of effect it will cause and if I will still be safe to get my files.
So I installed the recovery files like Recuva, iCare, PC inspector, GetDataBack, and even testdisk from a live cd, gparted from a live cd too. All this was just to check if they could recognize my bad disk and they all confirmed the presence of the disk but I did not go into recovering because I did not want to mess up things by using softwares I don't know anything about.
If we were to do this ourselves here I'll ask
If I choose to create a new MBR so that I can repartition this disk, will our revery processes still work? Or I should just leave it that way and get a professional help from a suggestion here?????
Thank you spywaredoctor for your replies.
I just wish the right eyes and people will come accross this topic and posts to give a better suggestion because am feeling almost disappointed.
Replies.
From all
Reply.

#6 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:36 AM

To keep from messing it up further, dupe the drive and then try EaseUS Partition Recovery on the dupe.

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

Dropping a drive like that the heads clash to the platter and corrupts all the data in that area. This obviously is what has happen in your case. Furthermore, the damage could extend beyond just logical damage and have physical damage to the platter and the head. Some programs might be able to recover the data. Only a format will fix or clear out the logical magnetic dmg. Also, you open the drive case and that pretty much will kill a drive anyways. Dust rushes to the platter like a magnet. If the drive can still read and write it won't last long. Never open a drive there is nothing in there really that you can do to fix it. Only professionals in a clean room can fix it, replacing the circuit board, swapping platters, changing the heads ect. and there still isn't any guarantee of data recovery. They got all the tools to repair a drive. If you can get it to read or backup some files then you need to do that ASAP and buy a new HD cause it's toast.

Edited by technonymous, 25 February 2014 - 12:00 PM.

#8 guddiekay

guddiekay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

SpywareDoctor,

thank you for the reply,

please clearify with little explanation of what this "dupe" process is all about.

thank you technonymous,

so do you mean i should create a new MBR in the disk management window and create a new partition, format that partition and try recovery?

#9 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

SpywareDoctor,

thank you for the reply,

please clearify with little explanation of what this "dupe" process is all about.

Dupe: A hardware (not software) bit-by-bit copy to another drive. Now work on the copy, not the original.

Note that if a 'dupe" fails, the original is going to need to go to a professional recovery service to see if they can retrieve anything off of the drive for you.

And, technonymous is right. There is no guarantee that usable data can be recovered. Physical damage can leave a drive permanently unreadable. If the read/write heads have scraped the magnetic coating off the platter, there's nothing to recover. Dropping the drive can also shatter glass platters, and no one is going to get magnetic bits off glass shards.

#10 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:14 PM

Forget about MBR and formatting just recover as much data as you can using them programs and get the raw data off the drive while you still can. The head clashed the platter obviously. The thing is how deep is the logical/physical dmg? Since you don't know that, It could be a sector, a track, an entire cylinder across all platters. Data corruption can be through multiple levels.

The only thing you can do now is backup whatever data to another drive. After you saved the data, then you can try to format the disk and then do a disk scan to see whats damaged. You can't repair the data in anyway the data is magnetically destroyed scattered. Only thing you can do is recover and read what you can and then format the drive. You opened the drive and exposed it to the elements and tinkered around with it. You may not even be able to recover anything or get it working right. Even if it had a few bad sectors on it, do you really want your new OS and data on a shady HD? You pretty much have to expect the inevitable it's wasted. If the data on it means a lot to you, then you need to package it carefully in bubblewrap and ship it to a HD data recovery lab.

As a side note this is why backups on multiple disks is so important. A platter drive or a SSD drive it doesn't matter they have a life span. However, a SSD is a lot more shock resistant and resistant to other elements heat ect. When people ask me should I go with a ssd in a laptop? I say yes yes and yes. That is where a SSD is most needed and critical in a mobile device. Many laptops come with a 5400 rpm hd which is a huge performance hit. Maybe use it for a backup but not for the OS.

Edited by technonymous, 25 February 2014 - 02:16 PM.

#11 guddiekay

guddiekay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

Thank you guys for the reply. I have noted all you said and please forgive me if I should ask for more suggestions.
Dear Technonymous,
Is it possible to post picture as part of my reply please I want to know because that will explain better the question I am am to ask as regards ur last reply????

#12 guddiekay

guddiekay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:52 AM

Ok guys, I figured it out. Now let's say
I read all you said,
I did open the hard drive ignorantly as mentioned earlier, but made sure I never troubled the platter. And then closing it up.
I want to work with the knowledge that the hard just damaged after the falling on the ground I opened. Now my last option is the DIY method since I can't find any company around me to start sending it to for recovery.
I think you all can walk me right on the topic and page for others to see the recovery method deployed.
Below is a picture of the drive when connected to another system and disk management is opened. As mentioned previously.

http://imgur.com/IsCpfVL.jpg

Note that the 2tb unknown disk is my previous 500gb hdd dat got mysteriously expanded.

After refreshing the disks. I got this other message asking me to choose a disk initialize option (you all know what this means-new mbr=new partition) the picture below.

http://imgur.com/71dnQSn.jpg

Technonymous u said no formating or creating new MBR, save what can be saved first. I agree.

Now what is the best recovery option and its steps to try In this case?
Ok guys, I figured it out. Now let's say
I read all you said,
I did open the hard drive ignorantly as mentioned earlier, but made sure I never troubled the platter. And then closing it up.
I want to work with the knowledge that the hard just damaged after the falling on the ground I opened. Now my last option is the DIY method since I can't find any company around me to start sending it to for recovery.
I think you all can walk me right on the topic and page for others to see the recovery method deployed.
Below is a picture of the drive when connected to another system and disk management is opened. As mentioned previously.

http://imgur.com/IsCpfVL.jpg

Note that the 2tb unknown disk is my previous 500gb hdd dat got mysteriously expanded.

After refreshing the disks. I got this other message asking me to choose a disk initialize option (you all know what this means-new mbr=new partition) the picture below.

http://imgur.com/71dnQSn.jpg

Technonymous u said no formating or creating new MBR, save what can be saved first. I agree.

Replys

#13 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:43 AM

The best recovery option in this case is to get a professional recovery service involved.

#14 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:29 AM

Thats just disk manager saying it can't see the drive and the MBR is corrupt. Recovery programs such as Recuva, ISObuster etc can still read the data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users