Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Auto Updates Settings Get Changed From What I Want

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 03:15 PM

I don't know where to post this.
Some time ago I changed my Windows (now Microsoft) update setting to install but don't run, so that I can review things first. I got tired of MS using me for beta testing of patch upon a patch. It worked for a while, things were being pushed into my computer and several times I got an opportunity to review and install on demand. That's the way I like it.

Two days ago something got downloaded and I planned to take care of the installation today. Last night I left the computer on, running something long. I forgot to pull the internet cable. This morning, in the system tray was an announcement that MS upgrades GOT INSTALLED and that my computer was REBOOTED. Totally AGAINST MY POLICY.

This is criminal, in my opinion. I checked the security updates settings and everything is set to the default MS likes - download and run. I've seen this happen before as well -- so the question is - HOW CAN I MAKE SURE my settings stay the WAY I WANT THEM? What is changing them?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 04:55 PM

I don't happen to know of anything that can change your settings automatically. I know that if you visit the MS update page you will be prompted to change you settings to 'download and install updates automatically'. My best guess is that you or some other user changed the settings, either on purpose or when prompted at some point by MS or by your computer. ???
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:52 PM

I know which you speak of, but I did not change it on their site either.
Can I prove it? Nope.

Is it possible that this whole genuine (dis)advantage might have done it?
One of their recent patches reverted my Windows explorer setting to icons from my preferred 'details' view, just as an example of the havoc that happens. And another destroyed addins in Excel. So they may have changed my setting, no?

I'll be watching it, that's all I can do I guess, daily :thumbsup:

BTW, this last patch came in Th, it was KB913580. Rather unexpected.

Are you really Einstein in disguise? :flowers: :trumpet:

Edited by tos226, 13 May 2006 - 10:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users