Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost monitor in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PeterM1

PeterM1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:52 PM

Now I've done it. 
Long story short. The monitor was crushed on my laptop so I have been using an external monitor.
I had issues with the laptop today and I rebooted it in safe mode not realizing that it would disable the external monitor. 
Is there anyway I can get back into normal boot without seeing anything on my monitor OR is there a way I can network into it from another computer via USB or anything to undo safe mode.

Thanx in advance for any help...
Windows 8

Edited by PeterM1, 22 February 2014 - 10:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:54 PM

Simply turning it off should disable Windows' Safe mode. When you boot it back up, Windows should come up normally.

#3 PeterM1

PeterM1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

Thanx for your reply Spyware Doc

I tried doing that. last night but it didnt work. 
I fired it back up today when It had crossed my mind that it may have had something to do with my lock screen so I rebooted and treated it as if the lock screen was on. input my password like I would have.. No luck. 
I tried a hard boot, again nothing. 
I used the command prompt to open the MSCONFIG tool to make it reboot in safe mode when this happened. Would that be a possible reason that it remains in safe mode?

Edited by PeterM1, 23 February 2014 - 05:40 PM.

#4 PeterM1

PeterM1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

Question...
I should be able to do this blind if I had a guide that would give me the exact keystrokes I need to get into my boot menu? 

#5 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:06 AM

And you've tried using the laptop's function keys to toggle through the laptop's three different monitor's settings: 1) Laptop screen only, 2) External monitor only, 3) Both laptop screen and external monitor?

For example, on my ThinkPad running Windows 7, the Fn+F7 combination switches between four display options:

• Computer display only (LCD)

• Computer display and external monitor (same image)

•  Computer display and external monitor (extended desktop)

• External monitor only

#6 PeterM1

PeterM1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:34 AM

Yes, I did try that.

Thought,.. Can I pull the hard drive out and put it in another laptop to undo this?

#7 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:43 AM

If it's the exact same setup it might work. If not, the HAL (hardware abstraction layer) and drivers would be wrong. Meaning Windows will then attempt to fix everything so it will work in the different system. Which may fail. :(

I'm surprised to hear that there is no display on the monitor in Safe mode. That's what Safe mode was designed for. Load nothing but the basic old generic drivers that have been around for years. The video would be something like plain'ol VGA 640x480 16-bit color. And if your monitor cannot handle that, I'd try a different monitor.

#8 PeterM1

PeterM1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:50 AM

I had never considered that, Ill try my old clunky monitor and see if it makes a difference

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users