Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Was wondering about system restore.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RobertThurman

RobertThurman

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:05 PM

Hi please look at my last post in yahoo answers

Thanks please can you now tell me is it possible I wrecked my pc, like my harddrive or my OS or my files by undoing the restore , Fred says I did, Brandon tells me I did'nt , I'm confused. Is fred right have I damaged the pc?

Trouble is when I undid the restore I then proceeded to do the restore to the same point I had been trying before , if that did'nt work like said in the yahooanswers link above, then I would undo the change which would'nt work either I did this a few times.

I appreciate your support. 
Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 EwenB

EwenB

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:23 AM

I don't think you have damaged your PC, but I certainly think you have done some damage to your file system.  It is recommended that you don't persist in restoring and undoing the same restore over and over.  You run the risk of destroying links and damaging file structure.  If the exercise has not worked on the first redo there is something else wrong and you should have investigated this possibility first.

#3 RobertThurman

RobertThurman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:39 AM

Even though the error said nothing had been changed?, what do you mean by links and file structure anyway, do you mean like video or program files on my pc?

#4 RobertThurman

RobertThurman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:47 AM

I don't think you have damaged your PC, but I certainly think you have done some damage to your file system.  It is recommended that you don't persist in restoring and undoing the same restore over and over.  You run the risk of destroying links and damaging file structure.  If the exercise has not worked on the first redo there is something else wrong and you should have investigated this possibility first.

Hi can you explain more about what the file structure and links are, and is it possible to fix it by doing a system restore.

#5 EwenB

EwenB

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

Here is a "cut and paste" from another similar post and it describes the situation better than I can:

Whenever Windows decides to restore a file or directory from a restore point, it will rename the existing file/directory and append "(number)" to its name. Windows keeps data that way, rather than overwriting it.

So every time you do a restore, you accumulate garbage in sensitive system directories, that do require lots of care and knowledge when doing deletes.

Conclusion: System restore is a bad practice, to be done only in case of emergency.
Taking disk image snapshots is preferable.

You should also modify your habits to avoid the need for system restore.
If you're in the habit of installing dubious products, you might prefer a product such as sandboxie, or using a virtual machine as a disposable test platform.

#6 RobertThurman

RobertThurman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:33 PM

Yes but remember the error clearly said no file or settings had been changed because the operation could not complete.

Here is a "cut and paste" from another similar post and it describes the situation better than I can:

Whenever Windows decides to restore a file or directory from a restore point, it will rename the existing file/directory and append "(number)" to its name. Windows keeps data that way, rather than overwriting it.

So every time you do a restore, you accumulate garbage in sensitive system directories, that do require lots of care and knowledge when doing deletes.

Conclusion: System restore is a bad practice, to be done only in case of emergency.
Taking disk image snapshots is preferable.

You should also modify your habits to avoid the need for system restore.
If you're in the habit of installing dubious products, you might prefer a product such as sandboxie, or using a virtual machine as a disposable test platform.

#7 RobertThurman

RobertThurman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:39 PM

Here is the original message I am not sure if you saw it in the link I gave on the forum before but here it is now

"System Restore did not complete successfully.  Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.  Details System restore could not access a file.  This is probably because an antivirus is running on the computer.  Temporarily disable your AV program and retry system restore.  An unspecified error occurred during system resore (0x80070005).  You can try system restore again and choose a different restore point ..."

that happened everytime I tried to do a system restore or undo one.

Sorry I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to these things.

#8 EwenB

EwenB

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

I don't know what else to say!  Did you run a virus check, did you try an earlier restore point?  As the message points out you either have a virus running (I think this is unlikely but...) I am more inclined to think of a damaged file/s in the restore.

You should also note that your original question has been deleted by the moderators.  Can you boot to a working Windows at all?

#9 RobertThurman

RobertThurman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:54 AM

I don't know what else to say!  Did you run a virus check, did you try an earlier restore point?  As the message points out you either have a virus running (I think this is unlikely but...) I am more inclined to think of a damaged file/s in the restore.

You should also note that your original question has been deleted by the moderators.  Can you boot to a working Windows at all?

Yep I run a virus check, I've looked up the problem and it seems that the issue is norton or another anti-virus running in the background, what I'm concerned about is that I might of damaged some links or the file system in the process but the error did say nothing has been changed so I'm hoping nothing has, in the restore and undo it did say it was doing something to the registry but it took only a minute to do, so I;m assuming that the registry was not changed either I just need someone to back me up on my theory, can you help?

By the way windows boots fine, everything runs fine, harddrive makes slight sound occasionally nothing big, the whole reason I'm worried about this is that I feel from your post that maybe my files are corrupt(because of the filesystem if it is actually wrecked) I need to know if I should reformat, I really need your help, please.

Please let me remind you I have OCD lol

#10 EwenB

EwenB

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:23 AM

Right, your Windows boots nad runs satisfactoril and from your point of view everything seems ok, and from what you have said in this last post I think yor fears are groundless.  If your system had shown any signs of misbehaviour it would have run with errors and the erors would have been shown in requester windows (you know the little windows that popup when something is not right.

You mention Norton which you have never mentioned before.  Unhappily it is a virus system that does not have a good reputation in the computing industry.  It was once a good system but over the years it has lost populatity due to it's size and the fact that it is known to cause system problems.  A searsch of the Internet in this respect will keep you busy for hours.  My advice is to uninstall it and go for one of the free ones and Windows Security Essentials is hard to beat.  Many of the early free ones started out with the best intentions but over time became bloated and hard to handle and unfortunately Norton falls within this category.

You may be prepared to keep it but in view of your recent comments I believe that this could be part of your problem.

My advice then is to keep using your system as it is and avoid using Restore so frequently.  It is good policy that when your system is running well to back it up using something like Macrium Free backup.  Get out of the habit of continually restoring and as has been said previously develop good hosekeeping and computer habits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users