Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery console

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BobbyG6200

BobbyG6200

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:57 PM

I installed Recovery Console on my PC and it installed over my Windows install.

Can I reverse this?

How do I find my Windows.

I previously had 2 Windows (default) partitions listed. 

One did nothing and the other was my Windows xp pro.

RC installed over this partition.

I also had switched the boot from Custom to Normal.

Is there a solution/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

Moved to XP forum for more exposure and since no malware issues were stated.

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:16 PM

The Recovery Console doesn't install over anything...so I have no idea what you are trying to say.  The Recovery Console is a tiny utility that helps troubleshoot/solve some Windows XP issues.

Louis

#4 BobbyG6200

BobbyG6200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:14 AM

Originally, when I booted up I had 2 choices. Both were Windows (Default).

Windows (Default)

Windows (Default)

And only the first one loaded my program.

After installing Recovery Console, I had:

Recovery Console

Windows (Default)

And the Windows (Default) did nothing.

But the good news is I did the  FIXBOOT followed by  BOOTCFG   /ADD and now I have:

(1) C:\WINDOWS

Recovery Console

Don't ask how I happened to have the first configuration! It's much too long of a story. I'll just say that I was restoring the OS on a very sick and infected device acquired, for free, from a friend who had messed it up by not knowing what he was doing. He could no longer go online with it. Then he bought an Imac G4 which he also messed up. Now I have a locked Imac G4 also. This machine went online with an ether net cable. I installed an Airport card, but made a mistake setting it up. Now it won't go online with the ethernet and it won't let me uninstall the Airport card, as I have no Administration rights. I tried the CMD(the key with the apple) + S solution but it won't boot into the Single user mode. I think the keyboard is suspect.

Any suggestions? I am going to put this problem up on the forum.

Thanks.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:21 AM

If...you had two boot options and added the Recovery Console as a boot option (which is normal)...then the result should have been 3 boot options reflected.

To eliminate a boot option, you had to modify the boot files...and it appears to me that you thereby deleted the true Windows install boot option and left one which does not boot into the O/S.

If the boot problem is solved...please initiate a new topic about whatever system problems you may have created or are experiencing...being sure to clear and concise in describing the problem.

Louis

#6 BobbyG6200

BobbyG6200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

Well, as I said, this came to me a major wreck. It had no Sp's and had everything from 'Search Protect' to 'White Smoke' although I'm just speculating that these are not very nice programs. I did make some big mistakes deleting files by getting rid of everything 'Revo" listed. I had done 75% of the uninstall when I saw the 'only delete bold items' My BAD!

Needless to say, that really messed up the Registry. I used SystemMechanicPro to fix that problem. Also in the process of restoring I downloaded a lot of the recommended drivers from Dell.

The PC is a Dell Optiplex 745 64 bit. The OS was 32 bit. I also used a Dell diagnostic program That installed on the root drive. Ruined a 16 gig USB flash drive to do it. At any rate, I was deleting what I thought were excess files, and LO and BEHOLD! No BOOYMgr. Well, I got that figured out and everything was good. That is when I decided to install the RC. And the rest I have elaborated on.

I followed the instructions for installing the RC to the letter. Why it did what I have previously described, is a mystery to me.

Your thoughts input is greatly appreciated. I just fixed a laptop running WIN 7 with the missing bootmgr. That went remarkably well although the procedure is slightly different.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

http://supportapj.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?c=jp&l=ja&s=bsd&~mode=popup&DN=1068977&opt=true&DoNotRedirect=y#1

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?docid=116986

I don't know anything about Dells...all my systems are self-built.

About the only thing I know is that Dells employ a nonstandard boot...and executing some XP Recovery Console commands on Dells may result in ability to use the System-Restore-To-Factory-Defaults function which Dell has installed.

Louis

#8 BobbyG6200

BobbyG6200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:20 PM

Well I sold it so I can write it off as experience

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users