Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Raid Solution

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 palkiss

palkiss

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:37 PM

Hey folks, I'm wanting to get an ethernet-equipped external hard drive that can do RAID 1 (mirroring), as well as access it from both a Windows PC and a Mac without any compatibility issues. 

I was looking at the WD My Book Live Duo and it looks to be exactly what I would want, but wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this drive or a similar drive.

Essentially, I'm just wanting a storage solution that can do RAID 1 and can be accessed from multiple computers running different OSes, allowing me to move files to and from the drive from any computer on the network. That price for the 4TB WD Duo (~$300) is about the most I'd pay for something like this, so maybe there's a cheaper option out there?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:40 PM

The cheapo solution might be to re-purpose a spare PC as a NAS using something like NAS4Free OS.  If you have a spare PC kicking about of course.  TBH most of multi bay NAS solutions are sold without drives, so the WD option that includes 4 Tb storage is not a bad price really.  I found this (I have the single bay version just to hold video's and stuff on) and it's quite affordable, but you do have to buy the disks separately.

Edited by jonuk76, 22 February 2014 - 09:48 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 palkiss

palkiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

The cheapo solution might be to re-purpose a spare PC as a NAS using something like NAS4Free OS.  If you have a spare PC kicking about of course.  TBH most of multi bay NAS solutions are sold without drives, so the WD option that includes 4 Tb storage is not a bad price really.  I found this (I have the single bay version just to hold video's and stuff on) and it's quite affordable, but you do have to buy the disks separately.

Thankyou! Anyone else have any suggestions? :(

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

Just be aware that it is a 2Tb / 4TB drive, information from the Western Digital website.

Double-safe backup with RAID 1 technology.

Set this system to data protection mode (also known as mirrored mode or RAID 1) and the capacity is divided in half. Half of the capacity is used to store your data and the other half is used for a duplicate copy. In the unlikely event that one drive fails, your data is protected because it's duplicated on the other drive.
Out of the box, this two-drive system combines both drives into one large volume, serving as one drive for maximum capacity.

What this means is that as a 2TB drive Your data in mirrored on both drives for better safety.

It also means that used as a 4Tb drive if either drive goes bad then everything is lost. To me this unacceptable.

You also find that it is a bit slow over the network. I had older WD NAS's ans they were not a ball of fire. I have since switched to Qnap TS-220 NAS's with Western Digital WD Red drives, They seem faster to me. I bought on sale with the 2 Red drives. To me one advantage is I can upgrade the drives to larger drives and not lose anything. The WD Red drive is a NAS rated drive FWIW. The Qnap's I use have USB 3.0 ports that are also included for high speed data backup to external drives.

Here is a link to Assorted driveless NAS's.

If You decide to go this route? The faster the processor in the NAS in general the better the performance will be.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 24 February 2014 - 04:37 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users