Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Issue After Migrating to New HDD

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sanjoo9211

sanjoo9211

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

Hello everybody!

My original hard drive was failing so I migrated to a new 3TB HDD. After I migrated the SeaTools fails at the Short Drive Self Test, but passes the Short & Long test in SeaTools for DOS. I have Windows 7 Home Premium (non SP1)

Here are the problems I'm facing:

Some of the programs do not start up on my new HDD.

I am unable to run Windows Update

I am unable to install SP1

I am unable to repair windows using the Windows 7 ISO

I tried a number of options, but am unable to get my system back on track. I am really hoping that I don't have to to a fresh install.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

How did you do the migration ? 

As I understand it, if you created an image and then wrote that to your new hard drive it should work, if you didn't, then it almost ceratinly will not.

Any time I have done this, I have done it the hard way. Install Windows - and all its updates - install the system drivers, install my applications and then re-load my data. I believe using software like Acronis will make this task much easier but I haven't had to do it again since I first heard of Acronis !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 sanjoo9211

sanjoo9211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:19 PM

Chris,

Thanks for your quick reply. I did not make an image of the OS partition, I simply cloned the HDD from the old to new using Seagate Disc Wizard. I still have my old HDD and I'm running Sea Tools for DOS on it right now. I may have an opportunity to make an image out of it.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:25 PM

Did you format the drive first?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 sanjoo9211

sanjoo9211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

No, I did not. The new drive is a 3 TB drive so I was also having issues with the computer recognizing all the space. That issue seems to have been resolved. I still have all my data saved and I can format the drive and do what I need to.

From what I understand, here's what I need to do:
Create an image from my old HDD.
Format my new HDD and create an OS partition
Load image from old HDD to new HDD

Am I on the right track?

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:43 PM

I believe Seagate Wizard is based off Acronis True Image. Basically you just take the pc case apart hookup both drives. Boot off the CDROM Seagate disc. Clone the old to the new drive. Replace the new drive with the old drive. Reboot the system so the bios detects the new drive. Piece of cake.

#7 sanjoo9211

sanjoo9211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:50 AM

That's exactly what I had done, but I don't know why windows updates don't work.

#8 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:28 AM

I believe Seagate Wizard is based off Acronis True Image. Basically you just take the pc case apart hookup both drives. Boot off the CDROM Seagate disc. Clone the old to the new drive. Replace the new drive with the old drive. Reboot the system so the bios detects the new drive. Piece of cake.

This is something that's similar to what I do as a routine cloner (I do it for a complete backup HDD periodically).

I've cloned with 3 tools:

- Acronis (2011 ver)

- Macrium Reflect (free ver)

- Clonezilla freeware

I've been cloning for about 2½ years with no issues seen so far (all cloned HDD's boot up, run ok).

I've only cloned once from a smaller HDD (500gb) to a larger HDD (1 Tb).  I did that using Acronis when I bought a new 1 Tb HDD.  It worked ok.

Here's my Desktop PC cloning routine:

- Delete partitions on the Target HDD before starting the cloning process.  I do that mainly for ease of identifying the Target HDD when I'm running the cloning tool.  This way, the Target HDD will appear (in the cloning software tool) as the "unallocated" HDD.  This is convenient if one is cloning periodically with 2 identical HDD's, same size, manufacturer, Seagate, WD, etc.

I usually delete the partitions from Windows' Disk Management console.  Occasionally, Windows won't let me delete the "System Reserved" partition (user-protection reasons), so I'll use "Diskpart" within CMD to delete that partition with the "override" parameter.

Pre-cloning partition-deletes and formatting aren't necessary since the cloning process will overwrite existing partitions and data during the cloning process.  I'm only doing it to eliminate any ID issues during the Source/Target HDD selection process in the cloning setup steps.  It also saves me a setup step when using Acronis since it will automatically select the correct Target HDD if the software identifies one of the HDD's as "unallocated".

- Shut down PC. 

- Boot up with one of my cloning tools from bootable media ("rescue" cd's, etc).  I realize that I can clone within my OS (Windows 7) with Acronis and some other cloning tools but I like to test the "worse-case" methodology, loading the cloning tool into memory with a wiped HDD, no OS, etc.

- Clone HDD.  In my case, cloning takes about 35 minutes using Acronis 2011.  I clone every couple of weeks.

- Boot up on the Target HDD to verify a working bootable spare HDD.

- Resume normal PC activities on my Source HDD.  Sometimes I'll run on the Target HDD and swap back to the original Source HDD the next time I clone.

I don't do any pre-cloning partition creations or formatting since the cloning process will create the partitions (as well as copy the MBR) from the Source HDD during the cloning process.

I don't Image as often as clone but I do that occasionally, storing the full-HDD images on an external HDD.

A couple of things regarding my HDD setup's:

My Desktop PC is a custom-built PC, so my HDD's are bare OEM drives, no brand-specific (Dell, etc) recovery partitions were present, etc.  I use Seagate Barracuda HDD's since I wanted to stay with one brand of HDD's.

My Windows 7 Desktop (X64) install is the default 2-partition installs, the "System Reserved" partition and the OS/data partition.

I also clone my Toshiba Laptop PC which did come with a Toshiba recovery partition.  I clone the same way with the Laptop as my Desktop PC except I'm using a SATA/USB Enclosure with the Laptop PC.

One thing that's of interest regarding Laptop cloning practices:  I've read, over at the Acronis forum that it's required to clone with the Source HDD in an Enclosure and the Target HDD installed in the Laptop.

That's how I cloned for the first year or so but I thought I'd try it in reverse, with my Source HDD remaining in the Laptop and the Target HDD in my Enclosure.  It worked ok this way so I'm not sure about the issue with regards to the location of the Source & Target HDD's when cloning Laptop's.  Perhaps that's required with certain vendor Laptop's.

I've also test-recovered full-HDD Images with the Target HDD installed in my Enclosure, both with my Desktop PC and the Laptop.  All test-recovered Images booted up and tested ok.

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

That's exactly what I had done, but I don't know why windows updates don't work.

Sounds like a update issue other people have been complaing about. Not sure what the fix was probably some patch you download manually. You will have to search for that on the forums.

#10 sanjoo9211

sanjoo9211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:07 AM

Thanks, Scoop8 for the detailed information.

Technonymous, I will look up the update issue. I wasn't aware of that.

I tried to do a fresh install, but my computer only saw about 800GB of the HDD. By looking around Ithink it may be a Intel RST driver issue. I'll keep trying.

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:01 AM

Drives above 2Tb in size have to use a GPT partitioning scheme.  Basically because the old MBR partition scheme runs out of address space at 2Tb.  Some key points are:

Only 64 bit versions of Windows support booting from a GPT drive.

Computer must have UEFI firmware to boot from a GPT drive.

GPT and Windows FAQ

Does your computer meet these requirements?

7sbvuf-6.png

#12 sanjoo9211

sanjoo9211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

I do have a Win 7 64 bit
I can use Seagate's software to unlock the space beyond 2TB
I don't know how to check if my bios supports UEFI

My problem is that the drive works when I migrated my data over from the 750GB HDD, but when I'm trying to do a fresh install it does not find the drivers.

Edited by sanjoo9211, 25 February 2014 - 06:09 PM.

#13 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:37 PM

It sounds like you nave migrated your data over to the new hard drive so that means your new hard drive is working ok?

You are unable to repair windows using the Windows 7 ISO

--- This means you are not using a Windows 7 Retail or OEM install disc?

--- Do you have a System Repair disc?

Since you cannot find the drivers when trying to do a fresh install see if this helps

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/35505-windows-7-installation-cannot-find-drivers.html

--- Are you connected to the Internet?

On your data migrating over to the new hard drive, isn't that supposed to be done after the Windows 7 install?

--- On some of the programs that do not start up on the new HDD, if I understand this correctly, you need the install discs, or whatever method you used to install them before

On being unable to run Windows Update and installing SP1, I believe that's dependent on when the OS is installed & running ok

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users