Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Tokio Okie new to bleeding

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tokio Okie

Tokio Okie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 22 November 2004 - 01:48 AM

Hi, I have been computing a long time but am still a novice. Before retiring I always had help at work, but now I am on my own and running W98Japanese, although I don't really read Japanese, so I have lots of questions.

I am not sure this is the right place, but can I delete ZIP files after they have been unzipped? I would like to free up some space on my small 8GB HDD.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 22 November 2004 - 09:14 AM

Welcome aboard, Tokio Okie.

Instead of deleting them, burn them to a disk first. That way if you ever have to reinstall the program, or your operating system, you won't have to download the programs again. Then, delete them off the harddrive.

Just a suggestion.

Edited by tg1911, 22 November 2004 - 09:14 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Tokio Okie

Tokio Okie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2004 - 11:09 AM

Thank you tg911.

That's what I did except for a few zip files whose names were too long for my B's Recorder Gold5.

I know I will have more questions. Maybe sometime I will have answers too.

Not important, but I got hit by a "home page takeover" or something like that today. In the process of being sure I was clean I manually deleted all the "temporary internet files" that had content (1kb or more) manually. My question - What are all those [1], [10], [24] etc. files with 0kb in about ten different folders under Temporary Internet Files. Are they necessary or can I delete the whole mess?

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 22 November 2004 - 11:28 AM

:thumbsup: and :flowers: to BC Tokio Okie

Not important, but I got hit by a "home page takeover" or something like that today. In the process of being sure I was clean I manually deleted all the "temporary internet files" that had content (1kb or more) manually. My question - What are all those [1], [10], [24] etc. files with 0kb in about ten different folders under Temporary Internet Files. Are they necessary or can I delete the whole mess?

Temporary files are ok to erase. The folders that you are referring to are 'place holders' for applications that put them there. You can erase those as well. If the application needs them again, then they will make the folder again. This is only the case if it is in the temporary internet files folder. Do not erase other 0 byte files, unless Windows says that it is ok.

If you had a home page takeover, you may be in need of some expert help. Take a look at BleepingComputer's pinned HiJack This thread. Follow the directions as stated, and when you post your log, someone will be able to help you out as soon as possible. They will give you advice on preventing it from happening again as well.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 22 November 2004 - 02:25 PM

Welcome to BC!

#6 Tokio Okie

Tokio Okie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2004 - 05:04 AM

Thanks friends,

I was lucky. Avast got rid of the invader before it could really take hold. Then I went back with GOBACK ten minutes and am OK now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users