Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu with Windows 7 and 8 DualBoot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 maxell505

maxell505

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

I have Windows 7 and Windows 8 dual booted on my laptop but I also want to install Ubuntu on it, making my machine tri bootable. I already know how to put Ubuntu on a bootable flash drive and everything but I want to know how I go about making another partition and installing Ubuntu onto that partition. And than how I go about actually launching whichever OS I would like when I start my computer up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

I have Windows 7 and Windows 8 dual booted on my laptop but I also want to install Ubuntu on it, making my machine tri bootable. I already know how to put Ubuntu on a bootable flash drive and everything but I want to know how I go about making another partition and installing Ubuntu onto that partition. And than how I go about actually launching whichever OS I would like when I start my computer up.

Here is my computer partitions. I am using Windows 8 right now and Local Disk is Windows 7. I have an HP laptop and I think HP made a partition on it when I first got it which is called recovery.

post-813252-0-33160700-1393044713.png

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

I would highly recommend you keep the recovery partition intact. I would recommend shrinking your D and C Drive and use the remaining to install Ubuntu on.

#4 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:54 PM

I would highly recommend you keep the recovery partition intact. I would recommend shrinking your D and C Drive and use the remaining to install Ubuntu on.

Ok hi again haha! I want to actually get rid of Windows 8. I have no use for it. I am just going to use Windows 7 from now on. I want to install Ubuntu on my Windows 8 partition that I have on my hard disk. So basically, I would like to replace Windows 8 with Ubuntu. How can I just erase Windows 8 and just install Ubuntu on it.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

Then run the Ubuntu Disk and install over the partition that is of equal size to the Windows 8 one, and you will be done.

#6 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

Ok so I just found out that when I did system recovery the whole Windows 8 partition was erased automatically. So can you show me how to create a partition and than install Ubuntu on it?

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:07 PM

You will need to perform the following:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/gg309169.aspx

Then once you download and Burn ubuntu to a CD to install, you will want to install it on the free space.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/install-desktop-latest

In step 4 you will choose something else and select the available space. It will then install and you will have a dual boot WIndows 7 and Ubuntu system.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:05 AM

Ok hi again haha! I want to actually get rid of Windows 8. I have no use for it. I am just going to use Windows 7 from now on. I want to install Ubuntu on my Windows 8 partition that I have on my hard disk. So basically, I would like to replace Windows 8 with Ubuntu. How can I just erase Windows 8 and just install Ubuntu on it.

There you go, simply install Ubuntu where Windows 8 is. However, before proceeding (this is more likely for future users, as this one has likely been decided) be sure to fully backup your computer. There are free backup apps available, such as Macrium Reflect & EaseUS Todo, which are popular & easy to use. Be sure to create rescue media for recovery.

Ubuntu will run nicely beside of Windows 7, at this stage I recommend to go with Ubuntu 14.04, of which Beta 1 has already been released & the full release will be due in April. This will be a LTS (5 year support) version, unlike the short releases (6-9 month support), so at least for 3 years an upgrade won't be necessary. As by then another LTS release will be due. This also applies to Ubuntu based versions of Linux Mint & other Linux OS's that's built upon Ubuntu.

The OP here isn't the first to desire to purge their computer of Windows 8 & won't be the last.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users