Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Probs Attaching & Uploading JPEG Files in BC Forum.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 windummy

windummy

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

Greetings BC Community:

I’m having problems attaching and uploading JPEG screenshots here and in my other posts. My aspect ratios are always based on pix X pix (for i.e. 500x296 px, etc.). It’s kind of weird because some JPEGs will attach and upload and the rest intended will not. All are the same spec dimensions.

Here’s what I mean:

JPEGFilesTooBigforattachmentinBCForum_zp

As you can imagine, this can make posting difficult. If I'm trying to explain and show a problem with the BC community and the JPEG(s) don't upload, that can be confusing and frustrating on your end. Photo Bucket is nice. But, logging onto that and uploading the intended JPEG(s) will take more time. etc.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks!

Re,

/MH~

Edit: Moved topic from Windows XP to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,546 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

I have had this problem myself, and resorted to using a file hoster. so I set myself up with an Imageshack a/c. So if I want to make a picture available for all to see, all I have to do is post the URL. It is also extremely useful for sending photos of, for example, faulty equipment to the suppliers as a lot of company e-mail accounts - such as sales@xyz.ltd - will not accept attachments.

http://imageshack.com/a/img209/4251/uq43.jpg

Part of a series on 'How to drag-and-drop'

Chris Cosgrove

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

There is a 512Kilobyte file size limit, and the file it looks like you are uploading is 1,180kilobytes in size. Which is nearly 3 times the allowed limit.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

Solution...reduce the size of the file, using a graphics editor, an application, or even online.  Then...post it.

Louis

#5 windummy

windummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

I have had this problem myself, and resorted to using a file hoster. so I set myself up with an Imageshack a/c. So if I want to make a picture available for all to see, all I have to do is post the URL. It is also extremely useful for sending photos of, for example, faulty equipment to the suppliers as a lot of company e-mail accounts - such as sales@xyz.ltd - will not accept attachments.

http://imageshack.com/a/img209/4251/uq43.jpg

Part of a series on 'How to drag-and-drop'

Chris Cosgrove

@ Chris Cosgrove:

Although I have a Photo Bucket account, I'll certainly look into Image Shack as you suggested.

Thanks for your input!

Re,

/MH~

Edited by windummy, 23 February 2014 - 05:56 PM.

#6 windummy

windummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

There is a 512Kilobyte file size limit, and the file it looks like you are uploading is 1,180kilobytes in size. Which is nearly 3 times the allowed limit.

@ cryptodan:

That's a good point. Since I use Photoshop to finalize and "save as" all images, perhaps I could dig around the forum and download a JPEG by someone else and view the kb sizes in Photoshop and make that my standard for uploading files here on BC.

Thanks for the pointer!

Re,

/MH~

Edited by windummy, 23 February 2014 - 06:00 PM.

#7 windummy

windummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

Solution...reduce the size of the file, using a graphics editor, an application, or even online.  Then...post it.

Louis

Back @ Louis:

Yup. As I just said to cryptodan, I plan to do that with the Photoshop prog I've been using all along. It's good that we're all on the same page about this. I'll work it out right now and post a test JPEG in this thread for you all to see.

Thanks!

Re,

/MH~

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,068 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

One other thing to consider is not all forums allow attachments. So if you do not see the attachment icon in a particular forum you can safely assume that forum does not allow them. This is for security reasons for our members.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 windummy

windummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

One other thing to consider is not all forums allow attachments. So if you do not see the attachment icon in a particular forum you can safely assume that forum does not allow them. This is for security reasons for our members.

@ Animal:

Thanks for that input. I'm getting ready to attach a test JPEG. But since you brought this up, where can I see this attachment icon (paper clip image)?

Also, with the success i have had with attaching other JPEGS, it seems I can't do that until after I post my comments and then edit. Are there better ways to do this I am not aware of?

Thanks,

/MH~

Edited by windummy, 23 February 2014 - 06:17 PM.

#10 windummy

windummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:18 PM

Louis

@ Louis & Everyone:

Looks like I cannot upload any JPEGs in this post.

/MH~

Edited by windummy, 23 February 2014 - 06:19 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:18 PM

Screenshots are not necessarily applicable in this forum...as pointed out, they may not be authorized here.  This is not a fit test forum for posting screenshots...if that is the case..

Another alternative:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/515817/ram-showing-less-than-installed/?p=3222150

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/

Louis

#12 windummy

windummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:33 PM

Screenshots are not necessarily applicable in this forum...as pointed out, they may not be authorized here.  This is not a fit test forum for posting screenshots...if that is the case..

Another alternative:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/515817/ram-showing-less-than-installed/?p=3222150

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/

Back @ Louis:

Yes. After taking a screenshot I do Start>Program Files>Accessories>Paint and am familiar with skewing functions and even using > Ctrl button to increase or decrease an image using the - and + keys, etc. I'll have to try the options your one link suggested. However after I screenshot an image and Start>Program Files>Accessories>Paint, I just save it as a JPEG in my assigned folder. Once there, the image is a very tiny ratio in upper corner of JPEG Thumbnail.

I just right click the JPEG and OPEN WITH > Photoshop and crop the image accordingly. Except for the BC Forum, this technique works for me on all my many music sites around the Globe such as this one @ a place called: bandcamp:

http://martinhenryamericancomposer.bandcamp.com/track/my-spirit-walk-6-11

At any rate, as you said: "This is not a fit test forum for posting screenshots.."

It's np. I'm up for learning newer and simpler workaround solutions such as this screenshot issue. So that when I need to show an image, it's done and over with in seconds.

Good tip reminders about Paint. A very underestimated little graphic editing prog indeed!

Re,

/MH~

#13 windummy

windummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:48 PM

@ Everyone:

I think I'll stick to PhotoBucket for the time being. I created a Library folder there for the BC Forum site. Here is a test shot:

[/URL]">http://BCForumtestfor574x377px_zps08fcf601.jpg

Re,

/MH~

Edited by windummy, 23 February 2014 - 08:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users