Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Urgh! Stinky Windows 8.1 update problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MJPRCE

MJPRCE

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:07 AM

Hi folks

So I have a Toshiba Satellite P875 (according to their website's auto-detection software) and I recently did an update from windows 8 to 8.1. It went somewhat better than the last time I tried this - days after the update's initial release via the store. However, I am having some niggling issue with the network connection via my wifi.

It connects okay, it stays connected, I ran a speed test and I get distinctly average results from that for my area, my laptop and it worked out the same as it did before on Windows 8 - so I didn't see anything out of the ordinary there however, when I click on the system tray connection icon, I get the sidebar pop-out that tells me two unusual things. 1 is it decides to tell me it's taking longer to connect than usual. This is rubbish, because even before that message is displayed, I've already opened my browser and I'm able to go trawl the net without any issues. Then it tells me the connection is limited. Speedtest says it ain't. 

So what exactly is wrong with my system and how do I fix this? I've tried trawling through Toshiba's website (it's an EU model by the way), but found no positive solutions to this problem thus far (and that was a fair few hours, so you can imagine I don't really want to keep trying that route). 

Here's what I did during the update:

I followed the update installation instructions for the drivers as provided by Toshiba. All the way from top to bottom. All the drivers are up to date as far as the update is concerned - or at least as far Toshiba is concerned.

I've tried diagnosing the connection issue, but the troubleshooter couldn't find any problems (at this point I'm beginning to think it's a registry problem - but I wouldn't have the first idea about where to go tweaking in that direction so I haven't done that).

I've tried looking it up, and it's a widespread issue to the point that almost everyone with a Brand model laptop with an OEM release that has to be updated from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 seems to have a similar problem, and the solutions presented to those problems seem to be more about Dell, or HP, or some other brand laptop or system. I've yet to find a workable solution to this particular model.

I also find using netsh commands pretty pointless, ipconfig commands usually have this very strange failed message towards the end of the applied command procedure (that's on netsh though), and running some things as admin tends to yield some pretty unexpected results usually towards the negative - like access denied, or similar. 

Given that I can connect to the internet though, I'm more concerned about the strange error messages I'm getting on the desktop (via where the charmsbar is likely to pop out on the desktop) and how to get rid of them, or determining if there really is a problem with my connection.

Any help would be gratefully received! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MJPRCE

MJPRCE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:48 AM

In light of no responses thus far, I have also tried http://optimizewindows8.wordpress.com/2013/11/07/how-to-fix-limited-wi-fi-connectivity-issue-in-windows-8-1/

Both methods failed to resolve the problem.

I'm going to have to keep looking to sort this out until anyone else who might know how to deal with this actually posts anything, so anything else I try I'll post here.

#3 MJPRCE

MJPRCE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

In this lonely old cyberspace forum - I am pleased to report despite no replies other than my own that I have actually managed to fix this problem.

I could be a nasty POS and just leave it at that, but because I know other people might have the same problem, getting the driver from the manufacturer rather than the Brand's own support website (be it Dell, Toshiba, Acer etc ad nauseum) could be a possible fix for others, it worked for mine.

Thanks for lookin'.

#4 kosmonaft

kosmonaft

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

As far as I know you must stick with windows 8 only on your tablet.

http://furg.net/ - Free online games 

#5 MJPRCE

MJPRCE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:37 AM

As far as I know you must stick with windows 8 only on your tablet.

It's a laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users