Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Slitaz version?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 defurman

defurman

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:50 AM

Have just got hold of an aging laptop that previously ran Windows Vista and i am thinking of installing Slitaz. The only problem is that i don't know which version to try out, New Slitaz Cooking or Slitaz 4.0?

Would welcome any help and advice. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:32 AM

First off, if your comp was originally purchased with Vista installed, then it should have no problem as far as minimum hardware requirements to

run all Linux distros. BUT....you should always make a LIVE CD, DVD or flash drive to find if your hardware and you are compatible first. Using LIVE

will not make any changes to your computer. Just slower than using installed.

To save others a bit a time who are not familiar with Slitaz...such as me....

QUOTE from Distro Watch:  SliTaz GNU/Linux is a mini distribution and live CD designed to run speedily on hardware with 256 MB of RAM. SliTaz uses BusyBox, a recent Linux kernel and GNU software. It boots with Syslinux and provides more than 200 Linux commands, the lighttpd web server, SQLite database, rescue tools, IRC client, SSH client and server powered by Dropbear, X window system, JWM (Joe's Window Manager), gFTP, Geany IDE, Mozilla Firefox, AlsaPlayer, GParted, a sound file editor and more. The SliTaz ISO image fits on a less than 30 MB media and takes just 80 MB of hard disk space.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users