Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help stopping "configuring updates ..." loop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bdalite

bdalite

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:48 AM

Greetings,

My first post to this listserve, and thank you for sharing time/expertise to help others.

I found this listserve when reading posts, on Malwarebites about similar problem (same problem?) I am having, to wit:

-Have Toshiba laptop (circa 2008 or so) (sans battery, but with power cord) running Vista - and I assume is a 32bit os, but not sure on that point (Made my assumption during a "tour" of safe mode when I saw reference to "system32").

-The problem started when I used the recovery disk from Toshiba to do a clean install.  After running the clean install disk, the computer (on its own) started downloading updates from Microsoft - I believe I recalled seeing a screen at one point showing "...installing update 4 of [in the 90s]..."

-At some later time, I saw screen show message similar to "... don't turn off computer..." - but that message stayed on for more than 24 hours, and thinking it was stuck, I did turn off machine and then restarted, which resulted in a screen showing the "... configuring updates..." message - which nevers goes away.

-I then went searching for fix.  Found Malwarbites and read posts from Maurice trying to help someone with similar problem, then found a February 13, 2013, post from Maurice on BleepingComputer to Sheila, on similar problem, suggesting a fix involving use of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool - and so I did download that Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (downloaded on a different computer) onto a thumbdrive and ran that scan tool on the Toshiba - and I have a copy of the scan, but don't know where to go from here.

In case someone is interested in reading that scan and perhaps offering assistance (and hasn't fallen asleep reading this long-winded post), I am pasting the scan report under my signature.

Thank you.

bdalite

Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) (x86) Version: 22-02-2014
Mod Edit:  Removed malware log data, not allowed/used in this forum, see No DDS, HijackThis, or ComboFix logs, Vista - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum-72/announcement-45-no-dds-hijackthis-or-combofix-logs-should-be-posted-in-this-forum/ - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 22 February 2014 - 12:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:10 AM

Start your system from the recovery disc.

Select Repair Options and then Command Prompt.

Type in the following commands, pressing Enter after each one:

C:

cd windows/winsxs
del pending.xml

Close the command prompt and restart your system.

#3 bdalite

bdalite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

dls62,

Thank you for the instruction, but ...

After I did best to follow instruction, upon a restart of system, the computer started up and ended up in another loop, this time with the "Welcome" sign showing, and showing, and showing...

So without knowing better, I turned off the machine, and then turned back on.  During start up process, machine said the Windows software did not appear to be legitimate, and suggested to go online to verify.  I did best to try and go online, but computer wouldn't permit same; i.e., I couldn't figure out what button to push to make computer go online.  So I shut off computer again, restarted and during the restart, a message came up that there was a problem, and made reference to a number I was supposed to note - and I didn't (my bad).

I tried restarting again, and now message comes up (on a black screen) stating "BOOTMGR is missing  Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart."  And so when press Ctrl+Alt+Del, the computer appears to be restarting, but within a few seconds that same message appears.

This everlasting looping is making me loopy (loopier). 

Is it a hopeless mess?

#4 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:55 PM

I think the easist solution is to do another clean install from the recovery disc(s), but this time as soon as the setup process has completed, do the following:

Click on Start, type update in the Search box and then click on Windows Update in the Programs section at the top of the menu box.

Click on Check for updates. Once the scan has completed click on View available updates under the Install Updates button.  In the list that appears deselect all the updates by clearing the check-mark above the first update in the list.

Look for any entry that reads Service Pack for Vista or similar,  If there is more than one of these, check-mark the one with the lowest number, i.e. SP1, and install that on its own by clicking the OK button and then the Install Updates button, restarting the computer after the update has been installed.  Then follow the same procedure for any further service packs, i.e. SP2.

Once the service packs have been installed, deselect all the remaining updates and then check-mark 5 updates at a time and install them as before, making sure that you restart the computer after installing each set of 5.  Hopefully this time you will get all the updates installed without problems.

After installing the updates,please make sure that you install an antivirus product to protect your system.

#5 bdalite

bdalite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:41 PM

Dear dls62,

I wish to thank you for your time, help, patience and expertise.  I did as you instructed and everything worked great. 

I can't thank you enough - and all of the malwarebytes community - who are willing to help others with their computer problems.  Please don't hesitate to pass along my thanks to everyone who assists folks as you do. 

I note there is a reference under your name that you are in the "UK".  Well, I hang out on that island across the pond from you, in a little place called Minnesota - and I raise a glass to you my neighbor for your help (and hope your winter is treating you warmer than what has come our way).

Thanks again,

Mike Burke

#6 bdalite

bdalite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:44 PM

... oops, my apologies.  Please extend my thanks to all of the bleepingcomputer.com community of folks who help others with computer problems.

#7 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:21 PM

You,re very welcome.

Our winter has indeed been warmer, but very wet. Some places have been literally under water. I think I would prefer cold to being flooded out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users