Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mother going to use computer. Help us all!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:03 PM

I mainly use Opera as a primary browser. My mother knows nothing about computers, so I wan't to make sure my Linux Box is safe from any crap! Should I have to protect myself if I am using Linux? Is WOT (Web Of Trust) and AdBlock fine? If not, then could some people give me some tips on making sure my mom can't do something stupid or clicking on an ad that has a drive by download. AND I WILL NOT SWITCH TO ANOTHER BROWSER, I love Opera, It has done me very well on my slow internet (Opera Turbo).

Edited by AlexSmithFanning, 21 February 2014 - 11:04 PM.

I prefer Linux. Windows 10 is just to invasive for me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:20 PM

First of all, set up a user account for her - I presume you can do this in Linux - then she can use any browser she wants  or prefers without affecting your beloved Opera. Also, with her own account, she cannot affect your own data or work and you can restrict her user privileges if you wish to be that protective.

As for as your mother doing something 'stupid' - well, we are all capable of that !  I have no user experience of the software you mention, but if it works for you, just make sure it is kept up to date. In my experience, and I have a fair bit of it, older users tend to be more cautious than younger ones at least in part because they don't entirely trust either computers or the internet !

I also think you had better hope that your Mum isn't browsing BC !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users