Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps saying I need to do updates. How can I turn this off?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bigbrown411

bigbrown411

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:30 PM

I took my computer to my Universitiy's ResNet to get it cleaned of viruses back in September of last year.. When I got it back, an icon showed up on the lower-right side of my dock saying that I need to install updates. However, it ALWAYS tells me I need to do updates (primarily for Microsoft Security Essentials). Even when I install these updates and restart my computer, the icon is still there, telling me I need to install new updates. Also, my computer now won't allow me to just shut down my computer. I have to shut down and install these updates always. These are my 2 questions:

1) If I don't turn off these updates requirements my computer is constantly telling me to do, can it screw up the installation of an external hard drive and/or screw up backing my data up?

2) How can I turn these constant updates off. They're very annoying.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

Doing, or not doing, updates will not affect either your data or an external hard drive.

Doing updates, particularly to security software, is important and they should not be ignored. Having said that, like pigs, not all updates are equal. You can go into Windows Update ( Start - Control panel - Windows update ) and at the top left you will see a control 'Check for updates'. Clicking on this will show a list of outstanding updates. You should install any security related updates, and others you may, if you wish, mark as 'Hidden' and they should not crop up again.

You will also see a control 'Change settings'. The default is download and install. If you set it to this updates will install themselves in the background and all you will get will be a notification that Windows installed updates. I personally have mine set to 'Notify when available' but that is not suitable for everybody. You can also choose to turn updates off - it's your computer, it's your decision - but that is not a choice I would recommend to anybody. Put it another way - I would not do that.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users