Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

amount of hdd replacements on Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jos789

jos789

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

How often can a hard drive be replaced on a Windows 7 system without having to buy a new version of Windows?

Did somebody already replace the hard drive more than one time? Did Windows activate again?

Thanks for answers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:55 AM

There is no problem changing drives and other internal hardware problems do arise when changing the MOBO's.  Unless you use the same make/model board Microsoft will consider it a new system.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 jos789

jos789
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:44 AM

Doppleganger, Microsoft has a "point-system":

Windows Product Activation checks eight different categories of hardware:

Processor & Serial Number
    IDE Adapter
    Hard Drive Device and VSN
    RAM Amount Range
    Display Adapter
    Optical Drive
    SCSI Adapter
    Network Adapter

You're right with the motherboard, because it has the most points (I don't know exactly how many point each hardware they gave).

Way back, when XP came out, I replaced a hard drive twice on a system and it refused the second replacement. Microsoft meight have changed that now with Windows 7. Possible, that somebody tried it already on Windows 7.

#4 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:10 AM

I'm not sure if this is applicable to the question since I haven't done a Windows re-install onto a new/different HDD.

I clone frequently and use different HDD's on my 2 Windows 7 x64 PC's.  I'll occasionally swap HDD's and run on HDD #1 for 3-4 weeks and then, after another cloning process, run on the other HDD.  I haven't encountered any Windows issues ("not genuine" copy, not booting, etc) in about 3 years of cloning this way.

I also test-recover full-HDD images without issues.

My Mom has a Windows XP SP3  Desktop HP Pavillion PC with a Samsung HDD (the original HDD) installed.  I clone her PC occasionally onto a Seagate Barracuda HDD.  I've tested the cloned HDD several times and have test-recovered full-HDD images on her PC without issues.

I'm guessing that a Windows re-install, from a Windows CD onto a new HDD, is what the question is about here. 

I haven't yet tried the "replace to dissimilar hardware" feature or, as some cloning tools refer to it as a "universal restore", which is supposed to allow re-installing a HDD to a different PC with a new MoBo, etc.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,560 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:40 AM

I've replaced various hard drives in various versions of Windows...and had no problem activating.  The only time that I can imagine a hard drive replacement provoking problems would be on an OEM (HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc.) system.

As previously stated...changing the motherboard is what provokes inability to activate.

Louis

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:22 PM

Provided you're not replacing hard drives frequently, weekly or monthly, you shouldn't have an issue.  Worst case you'll have to phone in to activate.  I don't know of anyone who was told they would have to purchase another copy due to replacing the hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users