Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Javascript disabled error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zobie08

Zobie08

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

Hello Everyone,

I hope I can get some help here.  My computer skills are good.  Used to work in IT for six years, so I can make my way around a computer.  Basically, what I am saying is I'm not a total idiot.  LOL

My problem is the following.  Laptop is running windows 7 with IE 11.  The latest windows updates have been ran.  We have AT&T as our internet provider.  When trying to download McAfee through our AT&T subscription, we get the error 'JavaScript is disabled on your browser.  Please enable javascript and try again.'

I have double & triple check the scripting in the Internet/Tools/Security.  In the scripting section of Security, it is enabled.  The odd thing about all of this is, just about all other websites load correctly.  When I got to att.com, att.net, att.yahoo.com, they do not load.  IE just sits there.  I thought it may be a problem with IE, so I tried downloading Mozilla Firefox, nothing.  Again, it just sits there.  We have two laptops, the other works just fine.

I did run Malwarebytes last night.  It did find some threats.  Those were quarantined and deleted.  I then deleted MWB.  My next step was loading the McAfee setup program from the good laptop onto a flashdrive.  I downloaded the program onto the 'troubled' laptop and attempted to run it from the desktop.  Nothing, again, it just sits there.

I'm stumped at this point.  I have went into add/remove programs to make sure the old McAfee subscription that came with the computer was removed and it has bee.  I have also deleted the old McAfee file from the registry using REGEDIT. 

Again, I am stumped.  I have never seen an issue where specific websites would not load.  None of the AT&T websites will load, Mozilla will not download and neither will McAfee.  I have tried loading Firefox and McAfee from both the web and from the desktop.  Nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Internet security is medium.  I have went through comparing the settings from the good laptop to the troubled laptop.  The setting are the same on both. 

Is this a registry issue, malware, virus, etc?  The problem is, I can't get McAfee to load and install so that I can run a virus scan...LOL

Thanks,

Lon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

What version of Java do you have? You can find out here. If you have the latest version (7 update 51) you may need to add the website to the exceptions list in Java security Have you tried IE11 in compatibility mode? With IE open and on the "offending" page press F12 to open the deveolper panel. With the developer panel open select Browser mode and change to IE9

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

FWIW:  Just because it's provided...that's no reason to install McAfee anything.  There are free alternatives that are less problematical and at least as efficient when it comes to protecting your system.

Have you tried to download/install one of these alternatives?

http://enable-javascript.com/

Seems to me that it could be a browser problem, you might try resetting it to default settings.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 21 February 2014 - 08:29 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:05 AM

Javascript is a scripting programming language developed by Netscape that runs on web browsers to make web pages functional for specific purposes. If it is disabled, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

If you disable JavaScript, many websites wont work properly. This is particularly true for web apps like Gmail and Google Docs, but its also true for other websites. Disabling JavaScript may break the ability to log in, post comments, or dynamically request content...If you disable JavaScript, you may be unable to use certain features on a website, the website may break completely, or you may use a version of the website with reduced features for users on older browsers

What Happens if You Disable JavaScript

JavaScript is most commonly used as a client side scripting language. This means that JavaScript code is written into an HTML page. When a user requests an HTML page with JavaScript in it, the script is sent to the browser and it's up to the browser to do something with it.

Javascript General introduction

However, some users install the NoScript Firefox extension for added protection since it allows JavaScript, Java and other executable content to run only from trusted domains of your choice.

The link provided by hamluis (How to enable JavaScript in your browser) will confirm if JavaScript is enabled or disabled.

This is another by Microsoft: How to enable JavaScript in a web browser?

Many users confuse JavaScript with Java, a software package by Oracle installed separately from your browser. Although the name is similar, Java is not the same as JavaScript.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users