Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some Windows 7 OEM questions.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mameigwess

Mameigwess

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:03 PM

At first I was going to do a Windows 7 upgrade over Windows XP but didn't want to take the chance of losing my XP programs and files.  Then I thought why not install Windows 7 on a separate drive and duel boot.  Not understanding the OEM part I bought a Windows 7 DVD from Tiger Direct.  Now that I have it, I noticed the OPK part and did some research on this site.  I guess from what I found I can install it on my computer since I built it.  Hmmmm!   I was planning to set up the duel boot using EasyBCD.  The copy of XP is on 2 HDDs with a RAID setup.  I want to put Windows 7 on a SSD.  Even though I'm putting an OEM Windows 7 on a separate drive will it see XP and complain?  I haven't opened the package yet so if need be I'm hoping I could send it back and bite the bullet for the upgrade which I now see is over $250.  But that brings up another question.  Can I install an upgrade on the SSD and not the drives with XP and still duel boot?  Or does the upgrade have to be installed over the top of XP?

Mameigwess

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:32 PM

If what you purchased...reads "System Builder", that is a regular install version.  "System Builder" and "OEM" are synonymous in that they are used to indicate that these are not retail versions of Windows and are tied to the system on which they are installed.

From what I see, the OPK is just a tool used by resellers when installing Win 7 on multiple systems.  You can ignore any reference to it...I had never heard of it prior to your post.

If you want to dual-boot your XP install and Win 7...that will happen automatically as long as your existing XP install and the SSD are attached properly before you do the Win 7 install on the SSD.  The Win 7 install will "take inventory of any existing Windows installs as it searches for a destination drive.  The Win 7 boot files will overwrite the XP boot files.  In the event that Win 7 did not (fior any reason) pick up the XP O/S...that can be easily corrected by installing EasyBCD and following the directions for recognizing "other O/Ses".

The "upgrade" version of Win 7 supposedly requires an install of XP to validate its use but users have reported installing it without detection of an earlier O/S.  There is no reason to consdier the upgrade version if you already have the System Builder version, IMO.

Louis

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:43 PM

Just a note, There is no upgrade path from XP to Windows 7 you would have to perform a clean install (wich you doing now anyways).  :thumbup2:

Edited by Sneakycyber, 21 February 2014 - 07:43 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Mameigwess

Mameigwess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

Thanks guys.  I've done a little more research and feel better about the install.  I did find out that if my motherboard fails I'm probably out of luck on any re-install of Windows 7 because you need and an exact replacement and my board is no longer made.  Hamluis, your right about Windows 7.  But it's nice to have EasyBCD as a safety net.

Mameigwess

#5 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

It may be the letter of the EULA (for OEM windows to be tied to one motherboard), but, many people have been able to re-activate their windows no problem after replacing a motherboard. YMMV. Having said that, if you expect to get a new motherboard soon, it would make more sense to install win7 on that instead.

#6 Mameigwess

Mameigwess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:52 PM

I have no plans to upgrade the motherboard soon.  The machine is mostly used now by the wife for shopping.  My laptop, which I'm writing this on, is my main machine.  The only reason I'm upgrading from XP to Windows 7 is to be able to get the security patches from Microsoft.  I'm going to disable XP's ability to access the internet as soon as Windows 7 is up and running.

Mameigwess

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:57 PM

Please do not continue to discuss bypassing, or violating of Microsoft OEM licensing. This Violates Bleeping Computer forum rules

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

Thank you :)

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#8 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:04 AM

I don't think anybody in this thread is discussing defeating copyright or security measures, or bypassing or violating OEM licensing. If Microsoft's own automated activation is happy to activate windows after your replace a broken part in your machine, then who am I to argue. I certainly won't start discussing bypassing or violating oem licensing.

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:22 AM

It may be the letter of the EULA (for OEM windows to be tied to one motherboard), but, many people have been able to re-activate their windows no problem after replacing a motherboard. YMMV. Having said that, if you expect to get a new motherboard soon, it would make more sense to install win7 on that instead.

Yes Microsoft's Automated activation can activate another install. However it's not customer supports job to make sure your following the Licensing. This does not prevent you from being prosecuted for piracy. The license is explicitly tied to one system and one system board. I understand no one is intending to or recommending it be done in this case. This is to clarify for others that come across this thread and to stop any further mentioning of it.  :thumbup2:

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users