Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 and Wireless

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wesintex

Wesintex

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

Alright,

I have been having issues with my Internet on my Alienware MX14 laptop that is running Windows 7. (Dont be afraid of its name its basically just a dell laptop) This laptop has been screwed and broken by two different repair shops that attempted to work on it and merely went about breaking things such as the disk drive and one of my USB connections.

Anyway my service provider is Suddenlink and they have actually been pretty helpful but its coming down to my issue now.

Originally my Internet cut in an out periodically on all my stuff (Phone, XP computer, Windows 7 Laptop, Xbox). Suddenlink worked with me and got it to where all my stuff EXCEPT my windows 7 laptop works without a hitch.

My laptop still dumps the wireless periodically and has actually gotten worse in terms of latency issues. I have run windows disk clean, defragged, run CCleaner, done registry cleaning, i have tried Windows defender and Malwarebytes in an attempt to find anything. In terms of those things my computer is spic and span.

If you have made it through my wall of text to this point. Are there anythings I can do to get my laptop running back to optimal performance internet wise? Settings I can adjust, Things i can turn on and off. I mean it has things like Intel WIFI pro then the basic windows wireless thing. I am at a pure loss so any guidance could and would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranfan

ranfan

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

I'm interested in hearing about a solution to this. I never would've thought of calling my service provider about this issue, and I've been having the internet cut in an out an all of the devices in the house. Wouldn't budge until being restarted.

#3 Wesintex

Wesintex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

I am not sure what they did. I contacted them one day about my service going in and out and they told me to hold on. I did for about 10minutes and they told me they had messed with my settings on the modem remotely. Since then my connection to other devices beyond my Laptop have been great. My Dell E520 running XP runs a bit slow still but I chalk that up to its 6-7 year old age rather than the internet anymore.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

I'm glad you have got this sorted out.

You can always check the speed of your connection by going onto Speedtest.net or by going into your router control panel. There is almost always a control to check performance built in. As you say, your Dell E520's performance may be due to its age or just to its location in relation to the router.

In general - Ranfan pay attention ! - if one device on your network has a problem it is normally between it and the router. If ALL the devices on the network have the same problem, then it is normally between the router and your ISP. Give them a ring !

And if you see an engineer climb the pole outside your house - don't let him/her get away until you have checked that your phone is still working !

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 22 February 2014 - 06:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users