Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C:\Windows\System32 folder on desktop every time I boot up.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 windummy

windummy

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:33 AM

Hello again BC Community:

I researched this problem last summer and can’t remember how I resolved it, or which tool I downloaded on recommendation that did fix it (either from the BC site a/o elsewhere). But, once again, whenever I turn on my pc using Windows XP Pro/32 edition, that ridiculous window folder pops up on my desktop for the C:\Windows\Sytstem32 folder. I always close it and go on about my business but it is really getting annoying again.

I know it has to do with my registry, I've heard about the quick fix, xp_system32opens.vbs, which is suppose to tell me if the script can fix my issue, or not. Plus other suggestions from geeks in Google, etc. But, I don’t like going into my registry at all. Especially to determine values. Even with Regedit backing me up in case I screw up, I prefer to stay out of there on my own!

Is there any easier way to resolve this? I’m sure this issue has already been addressed in the BC Forums before. If a thread solution already exists, could someone please send me that link?

I remain open to all other suggestions as well!

Thanks again. You guys are great!

Re,

/MH~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:50 AM

This may work, if you don't want to tackle the offending registry keys.

Kelly's Korner

Line 260 - right hand side

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,283 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

Hello, In an admin account run msconfig and post a screenshot of the startup tab.

#4 windummy

windummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:01 PM

Kelly's Korner

@ petewillis:

Thanks, Mate. Unfortunately, when I unpacked the XP / vbs prog from the line 260 link you sent, the following banner appeared. Please see enclosed JPEG screenshot.

Cheers!

/MH~

Attached Files

Edited by windummy, 21 February 2014 - 02:05 PM.

#5 windummy

windummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:10 PM

Hello, In an admin account run msconfig and post a screenshot of the startup tab.

@ JohnC_21:

Thanks for the request to set you up with screenshots to my Start Up folder.

I shot it as 5-parts. Some things I can read and understand to check a/o uncheck. Many more I cannot decipher.

I'm having probs loading all 5 parts. Parts #1 and #2 uploaded OK. I have to figure out why #3 to #5 did not. I'll have to get back to you ASAP. I may have to send you fresh additional posts. maybe the JPEG files are too big.

I appreciate you taking a look!

Re,

/MH~

Attached Files

Edited by windummy, 21 February 2014 - 02:18 PM.

#6 windummy

windummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

@ JohnC_21:

I was able to squeeze JPEG Parts # 3  by modifying it's screenshot demensions.

It's now called: Part 3.a 

#4.a and  #5.a to follow.

Re,

/MH~

Attached Files

Edited by windummy, 21 February 2014 - 02:37 PM.

#7 windummy

windummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:39 PM

@ JohnC_21:

OK! These are the last two shots---finally.

/MH~

Part4amp5WindummyStartUpcopy_zps42763d22

Edited by windummy, 21 February 2014 - 03:05 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

Kelly's Korner

@ petewillis:

Thanks, Mate. Unfortunately, when I unpacked the XP / vbs prog from the line 260 link you sent, the following banner appeared. Please see enclosed JPEG screenshot.

Cheers!

/MH~

You did click on the script on the right side, correct?  There are two different scripts on the same line.

Louis

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

This is an old issue.

The System32 folder opens at startup because of a corrupt registry value. The value could have been corrupted for a number of reasons to include malware or installing/uninstalling a program which did not install/uninstall itself properly.

The problem could also be caused by empty run entries in your startup shortcuts which will open the system32 folder. The first thing to do is check the startup run registry entries with AutoRuns and if any are present, remove those entries.

If that does not resolve the issue, #260 at Kellys Korner (as already noted) should resolve the problem. Just click "System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot" in the right column and you will be prompted to download xp_systems32opens.vbs. Save the file to your desktop and double-click on it to run the script. Since the script modifies certain registry settings you may receive an alert from your anti-virus or any script blocking program. Ignore the warning and allow it to continue.

Related articles:
System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows
Why does my System32 folder open when I log in?

CAUTION: This step involves making changes in the Windows registry. Always Create a New Restore Point and back up your registry before making any changes.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 windummy

windummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

Kelly's Korner

@ petewillis:

Cheers!

/MH~

You did click on the script on the right side, correct?  There are two different scripts on the same line.

Louis

@ Louis:

Yes. I did click the right side as instructed earlier by petewillis. The line 260 / xp_systems32opens.vbs link did D-L correctly and was successfully placed on my desktop.

However, to be honest; I unpacked it from the animated green arrow download section at top right pane in my FF browser. Perhaps that is why I got the unsuccessful banner results I showed petewillis earlier.

Let me try it from the desktop and I'll report back to you as to what happened.

Thanks!

Re,

/MH~

Edited by windummy, 21 February 2014 - 06:38 PM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:51 PM

I just downloaded and looked at the .vbs script.

On Error Resume Next

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

X = WshShell.RegRead("HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\SB Audigy 2 Startup Menu")

If X <> "" Then

WshShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\SB Audigy 2 Startup Menu", "/L:ENG"

X = MsgBox("Finished! The System32 folder should not open on boot for this user.", vbOKOnly, "Done")

Else

MsgBox "This script cannot repair your issue. The expected Registry value was not found.", vbOKOnly, "Finished."

End If

Set WshShell = Nothing
Looks like you received the bottom message.

#12 windummy

windummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:58 PM

This is an old issue.

The System32 folder opens at startup because of a corrupt registry value. The value could have been corrupted for a number of reasons to include malware or installing/uninstalling a program which did not install/uninstall itself properly.

The problem could also be caused by empty run entries in your startup shortcuts which will open the system32 folder. The first thing to do is check the startup run registry entries with AutoRuns and if any are present, remove those entries.

If that does not resolve the issue, #260 at Kellys Korner (as already noted) should resolve the problem. Just click "System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot" in the right column and you will be prompted to download xp_systems32opens.vbs. Save the file to your desktop and double-click on it to run the script. Since the script modifies certain registry settings you may receive an alert from your anti-virus or any script blocking program. Ignore the warning and allow it to continue.

Related articles:
System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows
Why does my System32 folder open when I log in?

CAUTION: This step involves making changes in the Windows registry. Always Create a New Restore Point and back up your registry before making any changes.

@ quietman7:

Thanks for taking the time to post your specific instructions to me about this. I had a feeling that someone, sooner or later in comments, would make me go into the registry. But alas, somebody's gotta' do it.

Let me get back to you as I do this carefully and correctly. BTW: the download for xp_systems32opens.vbs was successful. But unpacking and running the prog was not. I D-L'd it a second time and same deal.

Either way, I'll get back to you and Louis about the results as soon as I can.

Thanks!

Re,

/MH~

P.S.: Just got your comment where you say:

"just downloaded and looked at the .vbs script...Looks like you received the bottom message.."

Not sure what that means. But, thanks for sending it.

/MH~

Edited by windummy, 21 February 2014 - 07:02 PM.

#13 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:15 PM

Hello windummy,

"just downloaded and looked at the .vbs script...Looks like you received the bottom message.."

He means you received the "message" in the bottom of the codebox, as shown in the screenshot you took:

MsgBox "This script cannot repair your issue. The expected Registry value was not found.", vbOKOnly, "Finished."

:thumbup2:

bloopie

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:18 PM

P.S.: Just got your comment where you say:

"just downloaded and looked at the .vbs script...Looks like you received the bottom message.."[/color]

It means when you ran the script, this was the message you received.

"This script cannot repair your issue. The expected Registry value was not found."

That is the same message in the screenshot you provided in post #4.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,283 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:44 PM

Sorry for the delay in posting back. In msconfig put a checkmark next to Alaunch. Reboot the computer. Does it solve the problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users