Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

formerly infected Vista comp; no DHCP address

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 cjfling

cjfling

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:02 AM

Hi,

Full disclosure, this thread was originally posted to this location and moved to this forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/525140/formerly-infected-vista-comp;-no-dhcp-address/

I have a Vista Home SP2 64bit computer that had spyware issues.  I ran all common and some not so common tools to get to where nothing is being detected right now, but my wired LAN connection won't get a DHCP IP address.  If I assign a static address it works fine.  If I install a wireless USB adapter, it get a DHCP address just fine.  Before you ask, I did install the Vista hotfix for DHCP not working with some routers.  If ran into this before on other computer and just ended up reloading Windows but would like to figure it out with your help.

Tools I've ran, some more than once (not listed in order ran): Malwarebytes, Hijackthis, AdwCleaner, ComboFix(before I saw posting instructions), CCcleaner, Farbar SS, Junkware Removal Tool, MiniToolBox, rkill, RogueKiller, TDSSKiller, and others that I can't remember.  If I were to run them now, I'm fairly certain they would come up clean, but am willing to do whatever and learn!  I've update the wired LAN driver.  Windows reports the connection as "unidentified network" and it keeps setting the network type to public, and turning off network discovery.  If I set it a private network and enable network discovery, it still shows unidentified network.  After restarting, it goes back to public with network discovery turned off.  When I plug in a network cable, it never asks what type of network is attached.  I also ran these commands in a batch file I found on the forums:

@Echo off
pushd\windows\system32\drivers\etc
attrib -h -s -r hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
attrib +r +h +s hosts
popd
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset all
netsh int ip reset all
cls
echo Script finished.
pause

Please see attached files posted hopefully as instructed.  Thanks in advance!

**Update: While working on another project (setting up a wifi router), the router was temporarily plugged into the same network as my existing network and the computer obtained a DHCP IP address right away from that router. So I guess I'm at a point where either my original router is not doling out IP's right, or even with the hotfix installed, Vista still isn't compatible with my router's DHCP? I physically took the computer to a different location and it worked fine on DHCP there also. I guess there is either a compatibility issue at the first site or the router's DHCP server is having problems. Unless someone sees something in the attached logs, I guess this thread can be closed or deleted.**

Attached Files

Edited by cjfling, 21 February 2014 - 09:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

Hi,

This doesn't sound like malware - especially considering that the PC worked fine on a different network. A cursory glance at your logs also suggests this isn't malware related.

As such, I'll close this topic.

I don't want to send you around in circles, but you could try posting in the Networking Forum for further advice.

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#3 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users