Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have recovery discs from the MFG but no CD drive. Now what?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 novice repairman

novice repairman

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:48 AM

Back Story

I have a Sony Vaio Ultra book SVT131A11L and it had been a great machine for me until the HDD failed in December. Fortunately I bought the extended warranty and after a phone call to the warranty company they shipped me a box to return the unit for repair. Lets just say that the first repair attempt didn't take and I had to call the warranty company again. I was told by them that since they were going to in fact replace the HDD this time that I needed to include the recovery discs. Of course the computer was not sold with the discs so I needed to buy them.

When I called the number given to order my recovery media I explained to them that my unit does not have an optical drive and asked if I could get the recovery media on a thumb drive. After a half hour of being bounced from operator to operator the answer was no, they only have discs. OK fine I paid the $49.99 for the discs, received them and sent them to the warranty company with the computer for a second time.  

My current situation

I got the computer back yesterday. I plugged it in and turned it on and it is stuck on "setup is preparing your computer for first use". After checking the Microsoft forum it appears that the solution is to "load the recovery media". Great, I guess my friends at the warranty repair center bypassed that step. 

My question

In an effort to avoid sending my computer by to these guys for a third time is there a way to simply transfer the recovery discs onto a thumb drive and load them onto the unit? I do have a working desktop Lenovo unit to use.

How big of a thumb drive should I get?

Anything I should look out for in the way of pitfalls?

Any help you guys can offer would be appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:22 AM

How many recovery disc's did Sony send you?

Yes...you should be able to copy the media to thumb drive....key is the thumb drive needs to be a minimum of 4 GB for each disc to be copied to.

Edited by bassfisher6522, 21 February 2014 - 09:23 AM.

#3 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:04 AM

It should be as simple as drag and drop. Put the disk in the cd tray, plug the usb drive in to the usb port. Then drag and drop from cd to usb.

*Now note, there may be hidden files and os files that are not normally visible, but still need to be copied over.*

You need to unhide the folders and os file temporarily so you can transfer them over if there is any hidden.

1.Click on Start-Computer

2.Click on Organize- Folder and Search Options.

3.Click on View in the middle

4.Where it says Hidden files and folders, click the circle that says show hidden files and folders.

5. Where it says Hide protected operating system files (Recommended), make sure the box is not checked for this procedure.

6. Copy all the media from the disk(s) to the root of the thumb drive.

7. After copying everything over, revert what you did above so the files and folders are not visible.

*Leaving them visible could cause accidental deletion.

*You may need to make the usb drive bootable so that windows can boot from it. Doing the steps above will not make the drive bootable.*

See these links below for help with that.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6920312_copy-cd-usb-flash-drive.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2432-usb-windows-7-installation-key-drive-create.html?ltr=U

*Use option 2*

Edited by chrisd87, 21 February 2014 - 10:22 AM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:27 AM

99 and 44% of 100% the thumb drive does the trick, but a cheap fool proof thing I use is an LG slim CD drive found on many sites for about $20, to date it has not failed once to load anything.  Alas I do have 4-5 thumbs loaded loaded with various goodies to get the job done.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 novice repairman

novice repairman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am trying to load these discs (5 of them) onto a 32gig USB drive.

There are a lot of files that repeat from disc to disc, such  as the auto run files, ARP.dll and so on. Do I keep both copies of the files on the USB or should I skip?

#6 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:31 PM

Don't skip the files, simply copy over the ones that's already present on the usb drive

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

Old Phil, I was interested in your comment about using an external CD drive so I looked some up

Here is one example of what I found

Portable Super Multi Drive LG Gp10nb20 Portable 8X Slim Dvd+/-rw External Drive

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Super-Multi-Drive-LG-Gp10nb20-Portable-8X-Slim-Dvd-rw-External-Drive-/151232458672?pt=US_CD_DVD_Blu_Ray_Duplicators&hash=item2336282fb0

--- It has an install disc

--- It includes a USB cable. Does this mean the unit is powered by the USB connection without a power cord?

And I’ve seem some that indicate they will work on any Netbook, and some that indicate they will work on any laptop

--- I’d like to get one that will work on any desktop, laptop or netbook

--- So when I see one that indicates that it will work on any laptop or netbook does that mean they are limited to the mentioned units?

Any advice is more than welcomed

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:30 PM

It is a simple drive two cable USB one power one USB data, plug and play as long as you have two available ports.  Mine did not come with an install disk worked right out of the box, mine is older but does everything except blue ray.

I have used mine on a few towers with bad CD's it will work anywhere.

Edited by OldPhil, 22 February 2014 - 04:31 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

Thanks Old Phil. I have seen some styles like you mentioned. Now all I have to buy it do is pick one out and

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users