Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

13" vs 17" Laptop Differences

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:09 AM

I bought a 17" laptop very much influenced by the fact that optical drives are disappearing from 13" laptops and the fact that so many 13" laptops have non-removeable batteries.  These laptops must go back to the factory to replace the battery, I assume this is not inexpensive.

Are the portable optical drives a big hassle or is it not much of a problem?  Are they rugged?

I am contemplating an additional laptop.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

Portable CD-ROM drives start at $14.99, including shipping; CD-RW burners add $2 and CD-RW burner that can read DVDs add $2 more. Portable DVD (and CD) burners start at $27.99, including shipping. And yes, they're fairly durable. A couple of mine are going on 4 years old.

However, I find myself using USB flash drives a lot more than lugging around big-'ol CD/DVDs. ;)

http://www.newegg.com/External-CD-DVD-Blu-Ray-Drives/SubCategory/ID-420?Order=PRICE

Edited by SpywareDoctor, 21 February 2014 - 02:24 PM.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

I have been flogging an LG Slim CD for about four years it is still doing great, no queswtion pen drives are super for most things but lack the flexability to play/load CD's.  They run $20 great to have along with a few pen drives.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys.  Personally I think it would be great if pen/drives were available to replace all the software that seems to still come only in CD/DVD format.  I just think I would hate to have to carry around a portable so I guess I will stick with the thicker/heavier laptops.

The thought of having to return a laptop for a new battery really turns me off though.  I like being able to buy spare batteries for $40 and changing them in about 2 seconds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users