Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome/Windows 7: Proxy Server Message/No Internet/Can't change settings/HELP

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 skhiwauk

skhiwauk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:31 AM

I have Windows 7, search the internet with Chrome, seems my computer may be infected.  When I click chrome, sometimes it gives me my home page, sometimes it goes straight to the message "unable to connect to the proxy server", when it doesn't go directly to my home page correctly, it also states this exact message with an upside down face.  I did some research online and the Chrome message that people were posting up were a bit different from the one I am seeing. 

When I attempt to troubleshoot by going to the Chrome settings and going down to "Change Proxy settings" it prompts "access to this feature has been disabled by a restriction set by your system administrator", even though I am using the system administrator user, which is the only user on the system.  I've tried going in through the cmd line as well, pinged, netstat, tracert would give me results but weren't consistent.  I did a system restore as well, I had Sopho's anti-virus but it was out-of-date, for this was my work computer back in September but think the lease for it ended, so I installed AVG for now just today, most likely the reasoning for the computer being infected and causing this problem.  I have also started the pc in safe-mode, same results, is this a group policy issue?  I am unfamiliar with group policy and couldn't find it within my computer.  I do have the home premium version of 7 for what it's worth.

Please, please help, anyone!  I really hope there is a clean, direct approach for this mess.  I can't get on the internet at all on this machine.  I can't access the method to disable the proxy server setting and I don't connect to a proxy.  This is a home network directly connected to my ISP, ATT Uverse.

Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 21 February 2014 - 07:56 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users