Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista SP1 can't boot into desktop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 archp2008

archp2008

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:26 PM

Hello all.  I have a triple boot Windows system xp-vista-win7.  In the process of enlarging the partitions and moving the data for these three systems, I ended up with a Vista that doesn't fully boot.  I can still acess the folders from my other OS's but Vista won't boot to the desktop. It almost gets in.  It starts normally with the Microsoft Windows bar and welcome screen and start music, but then it reverts to a black screen with a white movable cursor in the screen.  The hard drive light indicates activity for around 10 minutes while this black screen is present but ultimately the drive light stops blinking. I was thinking of leaving it like that all night to see if if will fix itself.  The desktop never does appear I am unable to get into safe mode either as again there is no start buton or shortcut icons and no option to open system restore, just a black window with the indication of safe mode.  I could use ctrl-alt-del to open task manager and from there  I could open a desktop (explorer.exe), but trying to open files afrer that gave errors regarding missing files in librairies, etc. System restore opened in that way said it was turned off, but I doubt if that was really the case.  I have a Vista installation disk, but I'm wondering how much trouble I will have restoring the triple boot loader after reinstalling Vista.  This black screen scenario is a common problem with Vista but clear cut solutions other than windows repair are hard to find..  Again suggestions would be most appreciated.

Edited by archp2008, 20 February 2014 - 11:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

Assuming that the O/Ses were installed in order (XP, Vista, Win 7)...I'd just use the Win 7 install disk to run Startup Repair.

Louis

#3 archp2008

archp2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for the reply.    Yes, they were installed in order. Why use the Windows 7 disk? I just used the Vista install disk and the startup repair said it has booted successfully and there were no issues with startup. Unfortunately, no restore points are showing up either.  If I use the Windows 7 disk can I select the option to repair the Vista?  I have a Windows 7 repair disk which I have used successfully to repair Windows 7 but never Vista.

Edited by archp2008, 21 February 2014 - 02:53 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

Well...each time that Windows is installed...the boot files are overridden by the later install.  If Win 7 is the last O/S install, it makes sense to me...to use the Win 7 install disk to attempt any repair of boot problems.

The fact that Vista precedes Win 7...IMO, might indicate that a repair using a Vista disk might not be successful...but I've been wrong before :).

Louis

#5 archp2008

archp2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:45 PM

I'm comnfortable with the fact that my Vista partition has become seriously corrupted.  If I do a fresh install of Vista now, do you think I will be able to use EasyBCD to restore the triple boot loader from the new Vista installation.  If not I can always add a Linux distro.  I have found them to be pretty reliable for picking out non-Linux operating systems in setting up a new Grub boot menu that includes both Linux and Windows options..

Edited by archp2008, 21 February 2014 - 10:46 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

It's my understanding that EasyBCD needs to have a Win 7 install capable of being detected.

I can't tell you what will happen to your system since I don't have all pertinent details of exactly what is wrong.  The EasyBCD website can provide you with more info on using their tool.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users