Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Up Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RT1

RT1

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:47 PM

I built a computer some time back and it has worked perfectly since.  It has suddenly developed an odd problem that I thought some of you might be able to identify and help me correct.

When I turn it on it won't automatically start the Windows 7 Professional Operating System as it should.  There have been no changes that I can identify.  It now shows a screen that states the following:

Please Select Boot Device:

P3  ATAPI  iHAS124                         ( I believe that is my CD ROM)

P4  M4-CT128M4SSD2                     (This is my Solid State drive 128 gig)

P5  Samsung HD103SJ                     (This is my 1 Tb HDD)

Enter Setup

When I hit enter it will go ahead and boot up but I know this is not normal.  I have a ASUS P8Z68-V LX Motherboard. Intel i5 3300mhz chip and 16 Gb Ram. 

When I go into the BIOS and look at boot priorities, no matter which way I switch them around, it continues to do the same thing.  I place the P4 at option #1 and save on exit, but it always comes back with the same screen.  It appears that it is wanting to boot from the CD Rom (my unlearned opinion).  I do not know why this has started to happen out of the blue.

Any thoughts on this situation?

Thanks for your advice and comments.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:09 PM

Does it lose tthe time or anything? It sounds on the face of it like the CMOS battery might need replacing. If this is dead then you might get symptoms like the system forgetting the boot order, and of course the clock losing the time and date if the system is powered off.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 RT1

RT1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

Does it lose tthe time or anything? It sounds on the face of it like the CMOS battery might need replacing. If this is dead then you might get symptoms like the system forgetting the boot order, and of course the clock losing the time and date if the system is powered off.

Thanks for your reply.  I really appreciate you.

It is keeping normal time and date.  No other problems seem to be evident, but it fears me that it is a pre-cursor to other issues.  I may go ahead and change out the battery just to see.  I have decided I would email the support folks at ASUS to see if they would give me a reply.  I'll post again after I see what, if anything, they say.

#4 RT1

RT1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

Please Select Boot Device:

P3 ATAPI iHAS124 ( I believe that is my CD ROM)

P4 M4-CT128M4SSD2 (This is my Solid State drive 128 gig)

P5 Samsung HD103SJ (This is my 1 Tb HDD)

Enter Setup

Here is another noob question. Notice the P3, P4, P5 designations. Are the numbers significant and what do they mean?

Edited by RT1, 21 February 2014 - 03:59 PM.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,089 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

Hmm, not sure; the loss of time, date and other BIOS settings is really the give away of a dead battery.  Changing can't hurt of course (they can last 5 years plus or go within a couple of years.)

Have you recently made any changes, prior to this behaviour starting?  Like, for example have you upgraded the BIOS, disconnected and re-connected the internal drives, or added any new drives to the system?

I don't know exactly what "P" stands for, but it refers to physical boot devices in a UEFI BIOS.  Selecting one of the P options will attempt the boot from the device using legacy boot mode.  Usually the numbers are related in some way to the port the drives are connected to.  For example, the first SATA port (SATA0) may show up as "P0" in the boot menu.

The alternative to legacy boot mode is UEFI boot mode, and in this case the device may be shown as for example "UEFI ATAPI iHAS124" which would attempt to boot from the DVD drive in UEFI mode.  If you've set the BIOS to legacy boot mode only then UEFI boot modes wouldn't be shown.

Edited by jonuk76, 21 February 2014 - 06:25 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 RT1

RT1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:33 AM

Hmm, not sure; the loss of time, date and other BIOS settings is really the give away of a dead battery.  Changing can't hurt of course (they can last 5 years plus or go within a couple of years.)

Have you recently made any changes, prior to this behaviour starting?  Like, for example have you upgraded the BIOS, disconnected and re-connected the internal drives, or added any new drives to the system?

I don't know exactly what "P" stands for, but it refers to physical boot devices in a UEFI BIOS.  Selecting one of the P options will attempt the boot from the device using legacy boot mode.  Usually the numbers are related in some way to the port the drives are connected to.  For example, the first SATA port (SATA0) may show up as "P0" in the boot menu.

The alternative to legacy boot mode is UEFI boot mode, and in this case the device may be shown as for example "UEFI ATAPI iHAS124" which would attempt to boot from the DVD drive in UEFI mode.  If you've set the BIOS to legacy boot mode only then UEFI boot modes wouldn't be shown.

I do have an external SSD 500GB drive that I plug via USB occasionally as needed. It serves as a storage drive and has video files, mp3, and .jpeg files. I only plug it up as needed and unplug after shut down. I'm going to go into the BIOS settings again and write down the order I see and will post again. Thanks Jon!

#7 RT1

RT1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

Problem solved or least the cause has been found, though I ain't sure why.  Some weeks ago I purchased a Video Capture Device that USB's into my computer.  I use it to bring video in for recording video from my cameras and such.  Up until the other day there have been no glitches.  When the computer stopped booting up appropriately, I didn't even give that a thought because it had worked just fine.  Based on Jon's comment earlier in this thread, I started looking at configuration changes I had made in my computer.  This would be the only one.  I unplugged the device and voila', problem went away.  I plugged and unplugged several times while re-starting the computer alternately several times.  The common factor is the Video Capture Device plugged in equals failure to boot.

Okay, all that said, now that I know what, I still don't understand why.  If anybody has any thoughts on this phenomenon, I would sure like to hear it.  For some reason, I guess, my computer thinks this is a boot device(?) even though it doesn't show up in the boot list.....  That or there is a IRQ conflict maybe?  I don't know.  It is irritating!!!!  Grrrrrrrr!

Okay, rant over.

Thanks for your patience!!!

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,089 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:04 PM

Very odd!!  It's one of those things you'd never guess would cause an issue like that in a million years.  It sounds like a bug related to the BIOS really - that would be my guess.  If there are updates available, a newer version might fix it.  Take care when updating the BIOS - there is a risk that they can go wrong - but firmware updating is quite reliable these days in my experience.

7sbvuf-6.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users