Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building/Upgrading Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Magdalena

Magdalena

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:06 PM

Looking to upgrade the motherboard, processor, video card, and memory. Outside of general use, the computer will be used more for gaming. The more research I've done the more unsure I am at what I want. I'm use to AMD but am not against Intel. My budget stands at around $600-$700. Curious as to opinions on what would be the best choices.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:27 PM

Add to that a new power supply unit PSU  your old 1 may not be big enough.

#3 Magdalena

Magdalena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:48 PM

Right now I have a 500W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817342010

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:55 AM

You're also going to need a copy of Windows to comply with the license, unless you have a full, boxed retail copy that doesn't say OEM or System Builder on it.  What kind of games are you playing?

Here's an idea:

Motherboard:  MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ AMD 970 - This is a basic AMD 900 series motherboard.  If you think you will use Crossfire or SLI, you may want to consider a 990FX based board.  $79

CPU:  AMD FX-8320 Vishera 3.5GHz - You could get the 8350, but the price increase isn't worth it.  $159

RAM:  Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - Plenty of RAM.  $76

OS:  Windows 8 64-bit OEM - You need this to comply with the license, you can also skip over all the "Metro" tile stuff and go straight to the desktop with little fuss.  $99

PSU:  CORSAIR CXM series CX600M 600W - You need this for most higher-end graphics cards.  $79

Graphics Card:  SAPPHIRE DUAL-X OC 100355OC-2L Radeon HD 7850 2GB - This was last generation but it is faster than the R7 260X.  Other cards faster than the 260X include the 7870 and 660.  Unfortunately, after you spend money on the other components, you don't have much left over to get a high-end GPU.  If you're willing to go a few dollars past your budget, I would suggest the EVGA 02G-P4-2660-KR GeForce GTX 660 2GB.  $169

Total:  $666 (If you get the EVGA GTX 660, it will be $706)

3939.png

#5 Magdalena

Magdalena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:14 PM

Thank you for that btw.

Quick question though. What is the standind opinion of the upcoming Kaveri systems?

Edited by Magdalena, 26 February 2014 - 10:16 PM.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:42 AM

The Kaveri APU is less powerful than the FX systems, especially the FX-6000 and FX-8000 series even though the Kaveri uses a more up-to-date architecture.  This is because the FX processors have more resources at hand.  The Kaveri is good if you are wanting a fairly standard home office PC that has a decent graphics processor built-in.  If you believe you are going to get a dedicated graphics card, like the one I listed above, an APU is largely pointless as their CPU portion is weaker than FX and the GPU portion is weaker than a lower mid-range dedicated Radeon or GeForce card.

3939.png

#7 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:33 PM

DJB is right. I run an fx8320 myself. The fx series are geared towards gamers, but you are required to use a dedicated gpu as there is no integrated graphics. If you decide to go AMD, and get an fx series cpu. I highly recommend that you get an aftermarket cooler also, as AMD likes to run a bit hot. AMD gives you great bang for the buck, i love my AMD rig, but intel will most of the time give you better gaming performance!

Best of luck

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users