Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer running for 10-20 seconds then shuts down.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 krazyace

krazyace

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

Hi

I have a dell inspiron 7010 with windows 7. It was running hot so I took it apart and put new thermal pads on it. Now when I turn it on it runs for 10-20 seconds and shuts down. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:27 PM

Might be the Power Supply Unit. Is it a laptop?

I prefer Linux. Windows 10 is just to invasive for me.

#3 krazyace

krazyace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:27 PM

Might be the Power Supply Unit. Is it a laptop?

yes

#4 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:30 PM

Ok try disconecting the battery from the computer and leave the charger in. Start up the computer and see how long it runs. Tell me EXACTLY what happens when it restarts.

I prefer Linux. Windows 10 is just to invasive for me.

#5 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:15 PM

Does it take less time to shutdown every time you start it up? It could be overheating really bad

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

Were the new thermal pads the same size as the old ones? Did you use any thermal compound?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 krazyace

krazyace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:15 PM

Ok try disconecting the battery from the computer and leave the charger in. Start up the computer and see how long it runs. Tell me EXACTLY what happens when it restarts.

same thing starts up and then shuts down after getting to windows splash screen.

Does it take less time to shutdown every time you start it up? It could be overheating really bad

sort of, got to windows splash screen first then shut down after almost through dell splash screen then seemed to shut down almost the same after that.

Were the new thermal pads the same size as the old ones? Did you use any thermal compound?

the thermal pads were the right size, I did not use any thermal compound.

Edited by krazyace, 21 February 2014 - 11:32 PM.

#8 grogz

grogz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:38 PM

Hey krazyace,

I'm almost 100% it's an overheating issue.

If the CPU passes a certain temperature threshold it's designed to automatically turn off to prevent damage. And if the cooling wasn't adequate, that's what I'd expect to see. It'd start up, but heat would quickly build up to the threshold level, and it would soon shut down.

I'd try reapplying the thermal pads. When you removed the factory ones was there thermal paste on them? If so, you should use some too when you reply them. The paste is important to properly conduct heat and draw it away from the component.

#9 krazyace

krazyace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:53 PM

Hey krazyace,

I'm almost 100% it's an overheating issue.

If the CPU passes a certain temperature threshold it's designed to automatically turn off to prevent damage. And if the cooling wasn't adequate, that's what I'd expect to see. It'd start up, but heat would quickly build up to the threshold level, and it would soon shut down.

I'd try reapplying the thermal pads. When you removed the factory ones was there thermal paste on them? If so, you should use some too when you reply them. The paste is important to properly conduct heat and draw it away from the component.

Ok, I took off the pads and put some paste on, it is working again.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users