Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Immediate Help!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 AlexMERCER77

AlexMERCER77

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

I lost my password a few weeks ago. i tried using recovery softwares, but I found out I couldn't disable "Secure Mode", so it didn't work. So I plugged in a Win 7 installation USB that I had, and opened the CMD from there. I renamed utilman.exe with utilman1.exe, and cmd.exe with utilman.exe. I rebooted the computer and pressed the ease of access button, but CMD didn't open. So I plugged in the Win 7 installation USB and tried opening CMD again, to realize thatit won't open since I renamed it. I tried installing WIN 7, but the installation didn't even start and gave me a "couldn't open <some file>" error. I'm guessing this is because I renamed the CMD. So I'm stuck in the middle of no where. The password I lost belongs tho the admin account, and it's the only one on that computer.

So am I forced to add another HDD with pre-installed windows? I don't want to lose any data since I am a game developer and I have a lot of files.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:32 PM

You could try Kon-Boot if you want to pay $15, I wouldn't though. Can't help you with that situation since I can't recomend any of the software I have (which shall not be named as I could get banned) sorry!

I prefer Linux. Windows 10 is just to invasive for me.

#3 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:17 PM

IMHO, best answer:

1. Remove original disk
2. Install new disk
3. Do fresh install/restore to defaults of OS from dvds. If you don't have them, you can get them from the manufacturer.
4. Obtain a USB to sata disk adapter and transfer the data files from the old disk to the new one. Do not erase the old disk - keep it as an archive of your data files.

#4 AlexMERCER77

AlexMERCER77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:53 AM

You could try Kon-Boot if you want to pay $15, I wouldn't though. Can't help you with that situation since I can't recomend any of the software I have (which shall not be named as I could get banned) sorry!

Sorry mate, since apparently that shouldn't work since it needs the cmd.exe. I renamed it, so there is no cmd.exe for it to find, so I don't think Kon-Boot would work. But I'll give it a try. Hope it doesn't turn out like the Win7 installation.

IMHO, best answer:

1. Remove original disk
2. Install new disk
3. Do fresh install/restore to defaults of OS from dvds. If you don't have them, you can get them from the manufacturer.
4. Obtain a USB to sata disk adapter and transfer the data files from the old disk to the new one. Do not erase the old disk - keep it as an archive of your data files.

That's what I was thinking. I asked a question here just in case there were other ways.

#5 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:07 AM

1. How big is the disk?
2. What is the make and model of your machine?
3. Does it have a recovery partition or factory DVD recovery media?
4. Do you already have the replacement disk? If so how big?
5. If you take the original disk out, and use the USB to SATA adapter on another machine, you can copy out the necessary data files to another disk. Again, don't destroy the original disk contents. The data is recoverable.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

If you dont want to loose any files I would start with a backup first to make sure your files are safe. Do you have any means to back up the drive, another pc, back up software?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 AlexMERCER77

AlexMERCER77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:34 AM

1. How big is the disk?
2. What is the make and model of your machine?
3. Does it have a recovery partition or factory DVD recovery media?
4. Do you already have the replacement disk? If so how big?
5. If you take the original disk out, and use the USB to SATA adapter on another machine, you can copy out the necessary data files to another disk. Again, don't destroy the original disk contents. The data is recoverable.

1. Which one? the one already on my PC? It's 1TB.

2. I built this PC up myself.

3. Nope.

4. Not yet.

This is how I think I'll be doing it. I'll install an OS on another HDD. Then boot up my computer with the OS on this new HDD. Now, I'll rename the Command Prompt back to cmd.exe. Then, I'll boot from the Win7 installation that I had, press Shift+F10 to open CMD, and I'll use the "net user" syntax to remove the password on my old HDD. Then, I'll remove that new HDD, and boot my OS up without any password.

You think this'll work?

#8 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:50 AM

AlexMERCER77:
1. How much of the original disk is in use?
2. Do you already have it partitioned for a separate D drive (data), and is that still intact?
3. If not, where are the data files you need?
4. What edition of Windows was installed originally?
5. Make and Model of mobo? Which CPU? How much RAM?
6. Nosey ain't I???
7. Do you have another machine available, and do you have the USB to SATA adapter?

#9 EwenB

EwenB

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:25 AM

How do you forget a password which you use on a regular basis

#10 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:29 AM

OK, I'll throw in one more: why no backups of supposedly critical data files?

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:59 AM

Please try and keep the post's helpfull everyone makes mistakes, There are many legitiamate reasons a password no longer works.  

Chad Mockensturm 

#12 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:28 AM

As a side note holding shift down as the system boots gets into recovery options, or hold shift down and press F8 repeatedly. You can use a linux live cd to rename the cmd files back. Forcing a password change there is no way to recover encrypted files. However, 9 times out of 10 people don't even use encryption or have a password recovery disk lol.

Edited by technonymous, 23 February 2014 - 03:20 AM.

#13 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:36 AM

Very true.

Chad Mockensturm 

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:52 AM

Google Info

Microsoft Says...

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 February 2014 - 08:54 AM.

#15 AlexMERCER77

AlexMERCER77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:58 AM

So..............

Here's how it went.

I took my hard drive to a friend's PC. I connected it. I booted up the PC with my friend's pre-installed windows on his own HDD.

I browsed to my HDD, and recovered the cmd. 

Now, what I have to ask is:

If I insert a WIn7 DVD, press Shift+F10 to launch up the cmd, then can I use the "net user" commands?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users