Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB 3.0 Hard drive looping mounting / unmounting from 2 ports

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nomadski

Nomadski

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

Hi all.  I've just built a new pc and everything seems to have gone swimmingly so far, until I plugged a USB 3.0 hard drive into one of the two USB 3.0 ports on the front of the machine.

I hear the noise of the hard drive being recognised by Windows 8.1, then again after a few seconds and repeats until i remove the drive.  I noticed in My Computer the drive letter appearing and disappearing.

I then plugged the same HDD into a USB 2.0 port alongside the problematic 3.0 ones (the front of the PC has 4x USB ports) and they all recognised and mounted the drive ok.

I plugged the same HDD into a USB 3.0 port at the rear of the pc and again, mounted fine.

I then plugged an iPhone into the problematic USB 3.0 ports and it mounted fine, as did a USB 3.0 Stick.

Finally I plugged in a USB 2.0 HDD into the problem ports and it mounted fine.

So it seems one particular drive has an issue with 2 x USB 3.0 ports that I cant replicate with other ports, or hardware I've tried?

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:46 PM

Check the front panel connections for the usb 3 ports to make sure they are in the correct location and firmly seated. Next make sure that any driver needed for the usb 3 ports are installed from you mobo's website.

#3 Nomadski

Nomadski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:25 PM

Ill check it when I open the pc up tomorrow, seems weird all other devices are working on those ports, and that hard drive is working in the rear USB 3.0 ports though?

#4 Nomadski

Nomadski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:23 AM

That did the trick! Rearranged the cabling slightly to give a little more slack in the internal USB 3 connector and now the drive stays connected. Thanks!

EDIT: Maybe I spoke too soon. While it started connected and I could access it, I can't disconnect it with right click on the USB icon. Windows just reports a problem ejecting the USB mass storage device.  I have no windows open using the HDD so its not being accessed manually.

EDIT 2: Now going back to My Computer its behaviour is the same as before. Constantly showing up then disappearing again.

Weird, the first time I connected it, it worked.

Edited by Nomadski, 24 February 2014 - 12:31 AM.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:25 AM

Try using USBDeview and then locate the particular external drive from list. Right-click the device and choose Disconnect Selected Device. If not, use Uninstall Selected Device then try inserting the card again. If USBDeview requires you to be administrator, relaunch or run again by right-click 'run as administator' in order to complete the steps given. Otherwise, if not resolved then it might be a hardware problem or connection or a driver update install is needed.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users