Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows startup on multicore machines

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 skypilotpete

skypilotpete

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:02 PM

I'm a member of an ebook community, and there is an argument going on there about whether Windows 7 starts up using all available cores on a multicore machine, or if it starts up using only 1 core by default. One member started this by posting a "helpful tip" saying that people could shorten their boot time by going in to Msconfig and telling windows to use all available cores on startup. Then someone else pitched in and said that Windows 7 DOES use all available cores by default, and that the setting in Msconfig is for telling Windows to use LESS than the full number of cores if you wanted that for some reason. I have no way of knowing which position is correct, and I wonder if anyone here has definitive knowledge of this issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:13 PM

yeh well if you define the available cores through the advanced boot options in Windows 7, you are telling it not to use the virtual cores through hyper threading. I have 4 Cores (Quad Core) and 8 logical processors. typing this into a command prompt will state how amny Windows 7 can see. Windows should use all available cores during startup and also while running, any application that doesnt handle threading will only utilize one core.
%number_of_processors%
Type the command msinfo32 into Run and see what it says on the dispay screen
Processor	Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           W3520  @ 2.67GHz, 2661 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

#3 skypilotpete

skypilotpete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for the info. I ran msinfo32:

Processor Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU           @ 2.40GHz, 2394 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

So, from what you say, the quickest start up will come from leaving the start up settings as default, rather than using the advanced options to specify 4 cores.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users