Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Swapping drive between two different model dell

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dannieboiz

dannieboiz

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:19 PM

Got a Dell 6400, I got a replacement Dell 6410 completely different hardware coming from a P8300 to a Core i5. Simply swapping drive won't boot. Is there a way I can make this work w/o having to reinstall the OS. Both Machines comes with OEM WIn 7 Pro license so I wouldn't have any issue activating Windows again if I have to. Just the drag of all the applications and settings I have to go through again. 

FWIW: I have acronis with universal restore. I have not tried it yet but any help is greatly appreicated. 

Edited by dannieboiz, 20 February 2014 - 06:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:38 PM

Try an in place upgrade. BTW welcome to BC

#3 dannieboiz

dannieboiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

in place upgrade won't work because you actually have to start the install from windows and not boot from the disc/usb

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:21 PM

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/installing-reinstalling-windows#1TC=windows-7

#5 dannieboiz

dannieboiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:24 PM

let me try again with my Win 7 Pro disc, I used my WIn 7 ultimate but that didn't go to well.  :bubbles:

#6 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:37 PM

1. Along with the OS, there are hardware specific drivers that get installed as part of, or after, the OS is running. Systems with a restore partition, or with restoration media usually include those drivers as part of the restoration. If you are trying to install a new OS, you will need the manufacturer's driver set for that machine.

2. Because of the differences in hardware and the motherboard chipset, trying to boot on a disk from a different computer will almost always fail (see above). Occasionally the basic setup will be sufficiently similar that the disk will boot, but the OS will do a lot of "Found New Hardware" driver searches to try to make it work - which it sometimes actually will. Usually that means the same or similar CPU and chipset family.

3. If it failed to boot at all, it might be so simple as the BIOS not being set up to boot on that disk, especially if you have a UEFI BIOS installed. UEFI is pretty fussy.

#7 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:12 PM

For a fresh install of Windows, drivers are available from Dell here:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/latitude-e6410

#8 dannieboiz

dannieboiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:46 PM

I gave up on it and went ahead and reinstall Windows. :P A little more work but's probably necessary to get rid of all the crap that accumulate over the years. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users