Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can I change hdd's on 8.1

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:09 PM

Hello all, I recently purchased a PC with Windows 8.1 from my brother-in-law, and it came with a 1tb hard drive.  I would like to shrink the partition that contains the installation and copy it to a smaller drive. Maybe a 500 or 320.  My question is can I do this without having to reactivate Windows 8.1.  It is my understanding (vaguely very vaguely), that you only get 5 activations with Windows 8.  Second question;  what hardware changes can I make after installing Windows 8, without reactivating?

Thanks to all,

Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:40 PM

That depends, are you going to clone or just "copy" it. Just copy it and it wont even boot because it wont copy the MBR (Master Boot Record). As for hardware changes, if you buy a new CPU, then yes you will have to reactivate it. What hardware changes you can make, you should just be able to look it up on Google or ask someone else, because I am not sure.

I prefer Linux. Windows 10 is just to invasive for me.

#3 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:47 PM

No I would shrink the partition the installation is on, so that it would fit on a smaller one, then clone it over.  I have Google'd it, and to the best that I can find it is five times without replacing the motherboard.  That is why I am asking here. 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/how-many-time-can-you-change-the-motherboard-on-a/edff52ca-908e-4a1e-9b4a-45c34b336766

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1757250/windows-installation-hard-drive-inquiry.html

Guess I was asking the question wrong, it was quite easy once I asked the correct question.

Edited by snglnluvnit, 20 February 2014 - 06:50 PM.

#4 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:13 PM

Yea, you SHOULD be able to. If it gets deactivated then just reactivate it. IF I am understanding your question correctly.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

Does the new PC have UEFI enabled BIOS, because if it does you may not be able to do this due to secure boot being enabled.

As newer computers store the Windows 8/8.1 Keys in a special chip.

#6 bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:55 PM

I would like to shrink the partition that contains the installation and copy it to a smaller drive. Maybe a 500 or 320.  My question is can I do this without having to reactivate Windows 8.1.

Yes you can...it will not effect your current install.

is my understanding (vaguely very vaguely), that you only get 5 activations with Windows 8

Yes..there is limatation to the number of installs one gets/has with a OEM version.

My question is; what OS are you wanting to install on the newly created partition?

#7 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

Most likely Windows 7 with all the crap Windows 8 gets...    Thats most likely why he is doing this (but of course I am guessing).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users