Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Routers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mrmerck

mrmerck

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:02 AM

I am new to the wi-fi scene and have just purchased a laptop that I want to setup wireless.I searched Ebay and see lots of variation in wireless routers in prices, etc.

What do I need to look for in a wireless router?
Will any wireless router work?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MagicMike

MagicMike

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:48 AM

Hi mrmerck,
Wireless technology has improved to the point that it really don't matter which router you buy. You will see a lot of Hype about speed and standards such as B, G, A ans so on. As the speed goes up so does the price but the truth of the matter is if you are using it for internet use the speed will make no difference.
The only time the speed would matter is if you are planning to send large data files from one computer to another on the wireless network.
I would suggest a wireless G that you can find starting at about 39.00 and going up from there.

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 03:45 PM

I would suggest the DI-624 it's a wireless G extreme router with means instead of the standard wireless G 54MB/s transfer rate you have the 108MB/s transfer rate... but you would need a card that handles this and not all internal cards have this... but it's nice to have if you want to upgrade later and for the price...

You can get them on ebay for some pretty good prices...

Because of BC rules I PMed you a message with a few links in it.

Edited by Klinkaroo, 13 May 2006 - 03:47 PM.

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 07:37 AM

there is a few things to consider before you buy a router. i do not agree with them being all the same. i work with them all day long, and they are not even close to being the same. some port forward poorly, some do an excellent job, some have ddns redirectors built directly in them. some dont support vpn passthru, some have 32m buffers, while others have a 2m chip.
1.how many computers are gonna be on the network?
2.do you need any special aplication handling? ex:pc anywhere,vnc,web/mail server, gaming,etc...
3.what r u duin ion the net? a lot of DL'ing?
4.what is your range as far as usiong wireless>?
5.do u live in a more urban, or more rural area?
generally i suggest either a linksys (wrt54g) or dlink make a decent all round router too. with the emphasis on the former. they are all under $100.
if you are worried about price, get a decent router, (see above) and a less than best pci ws card.

theres my 2 cents worth
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users