Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to install Window 7 Home Premium to new drive, can't detect device drive

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bfedor7833

bfedor7833

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:42 PM

Have a Dell XPS Desktop - my samsung hd103sj crashed.  I had a data recover company recover my data, which they put onto a new 500GB WD 2.5" hard drive.  I copied the data to an external hard drive as backup, and now am trying to get my desktop working again.   I have a Windows 7 Home Premium Reinstallation CD.

I am unsure the computer is recognizing the hard drive.  When turning on, it shows that drive is detected, but when I go into setup - the HD details aren't there.

I was told I need to install an OS to the drive, so changed my boot sequence to CD/DVD.  Windows 7 starts to install, I select new installation - then it asks me to find a driver.  And gives me option to browse - I am unsure what driver I am looking for or where to find it.  Whether its on my computer or whether I need to download the driver from someplace to a USB stick...  It is a WD 2.5: 500GB SATA drive.

Message below it what it asks.

Load Driver

“To install the device driver needed to access your hard drive, insert the installation media containing the driver files, and then click OK.

Note: The installation media can be a floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive.

Also - I am not sure whether I need to partition and format the drive, the drive has all my backup data on it but no O/S.   It doesn't load into windows, so I need to know how to do things via command prompt.

Gave anyone guide on how to get O/S installed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

generally with standard drives Windows 7 is goo at detecting them, Im gathering the BIOS see's the HDD hey? and if so then i have found with some of the WD drives need to be formatted to NTFS first when they are new, especially with some older software raids. But you said there was all ready data on the drive so that doesnt make sense, the only thing to do is get the driver from WesterDigital and place it on a USB stick so you can locate it when the install asks for one.

#3 EwenB

EwenB

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

Go into Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer ManagementDisk Management and make sure the drive is shown there, format it NTFS and allow the format to allocate a drive letter.  Once that is done you're up and running.

#4 bfedor7833

bfedor7833
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

EwenB. How do I get to control panel if I can't get into windows? Can I get to command prompt and access control panel from there? Need strong step

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:20 PM

Before doing anything might I suggest you get a copy of puppy linux boot the pc from dvd look at those files on the drive back them up to another drive then worry about the rest. Formating = loss of information REMEMBER the golden rule of pc's back everything up first

VIDEO NOT MY WORK.

Edited by NickAu1, 20 February 2014 - 10:23 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#6 EwenB

EwenB

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:15 AM

I'm somewhat confused here.  Do you have an operating system installed and can you boot to it or are you trying to install to a completely new drive.?

If this is the case then follow the advice of Nickau 1.  Use Linux to recover the files, then follow up with a new install using the tools on the install disk.

#7 bfedor7833

bfedor7833
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:04 AM

I still get a No Boot Device Available message.

SATA 1 : None

SATA 2: Installed

I am trying to install an O/S on a new drive.   When I try install, it stops me and asks for driver, which I don't know where to find?  

#8 EwenB

EwenB

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:02 AM

What happens when you insert the install disk?  Do you get a menu of possible operations one of them being "Format".  Your drive has all the hallmarks of being unformatted.  An alternative is to use Hirens Boot Disk which will format your drive and here is a link to a problem somewhat similar to yours: http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/reformat-hard-drive-os-boot/

#9 bfedor7833

bfedor7833
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:49 AM

Hitens worked. Up and running now. Thanks.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

What happens when you insert the install disk?  Do you get a menu of possible operations one of them being "Format".  Your drive has all the hallmarks of being unformatted.  An alternative is to use Hirens Boot Disk which will format your drive and here is a link to a problem somewhat similar to yours: http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/reformat-hard-drive-os-boot/

Just so that you know...suggesting rhe use of Hirens or similar is against the forum rules/policies.  See Recommending ISOs of Windows Recovery Discs or pre-made ISOs of WinPE-BartPE - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic382841.html .

Louis

#11 EwenB

EwenB

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:51 PM

Please accept my apologies, I was not aware of this (should have been but wasn't)

Having read the condition and in particular the section for the user to create his own recovery disk for his own use how does he do this without first downloading the ISO?

Edited by EwenB, 21 February 2014 - 09:57 PM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:15 AM

Other system...or device...can be used for downloads, making CD/DVD, etc.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users