Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newb Q: McAfee Security shows a new PC connection to my network

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PC_Novice

PC_Novice

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:00 PM

I've recently started using mcafee security after using AVG for years. A little while ago I got a security notice from it saying that a 192.168.0.x IP connected to my network out of the blue. I've only used mcafee for about a week now so I don't know if that is normal for the software to alert me when any of my devices connects to the network. Simple question: Is that just a normal device connection IP for a private network? I have a laptop, a mobile phone and a game device set up to use Wi-Fi on my internet connection, although I'm certain none of the devices were being used at the time. Mcafee currently shows my router, my pc, and two other 192 ip connections to my network. I have a feeling that those are just normal IPs but I thought I would ask someone with more knowledge than me at computers (I know next to nothing).

Just want to make sure that no one is tapping into my Wi-Fi (I was meaning to change my Wi-Fi password anyways). Malware Bytes and mcafee show no infections of malware.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

Easy enough to check your phone, find the wireless section and tap the connection. The IP should show. Also look and see which are active in McAfee. 

I have no want nor need for more security on my network than I have so I have no experience with McAfee, sorry.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 20 February 2014 - 03:16 PM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users