Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Have No Internet And I Can't Connect To The Internet

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 11bink11

11bink11

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 08:53 AM

okay. first off last night as i was getting rid of spyfalcon i restarted my computer from safe mode and there was no connection and my internet explorer was corrupt.

Is there a way i can get a IE installer when i'm not using the internet, and how can I connect to the internet again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MagicMike

MagicMike

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:02 AM

I would suggest you download Mozilla Firefox as an alternative to IE. You can download it copy it to a disk and install it in your computer. Then if you feel you really need it you can use Mozilla to get on the internet to download IE.
What kind of connection did you use? Check your drivers in the device manager.

#3 Rad2duhbone53

Rad2duhbone53

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:32 AM

I think I have a solution. Go to this link.Hopefully this will correct your winsock files that might be corrupt. :thumbsup:

#4 11bink11

11bink11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 11:31 AM

Now i need to get it somehow :thumbsup:

#5 11bink11

11bink11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 11:49 AM

Is there a installation thing somewhere on my computer for the internet.

#6 Tim64

Tim64

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 12:42 PM

You will probally have to do a repair install of xp. You can either do a repair install or just format the harddrive and reinstall xp. I would suggest a format and reinstall of xp. Really its up to you how you want to do it. You can also try this. Go to start. All programs. Accessories....System restore and go back a few days and see if that cures it. As you can see there are a few diffrent ways to fix the problem. It is up to you how you want to do it.

Edited by Tim64, 13 May 2006 - 12:45 PM.

#7 11bink11

11bink11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 04:38 PM

The weird thing is that when i click system restore it just comes up as a white window and doesn't do anything. So that choice is gone or i would have done it.

#8 11bink11

11bink11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 03:18 PM

bump

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 04:05 PM

System Restore will restore a lot of things, including bad things. But the fact that it's no longer accessible means that there are some serious problems. It may be possible to repair them, if you can even figure out where the problems are.

The suggestion to download WinsockXP fix is a good one. Or you can use LSP fix. You can download it on another computer (since you're here, you must be using a different computer!) Copy it to a folder on your hard drive and start it. Make sure you can see the little button in the right corner of the program's window - if you can't, then drag the corner down until it's visible. Don't check the "I know what I'm doing" box. Just click "finish" and see if your internet is now available. Removing malware can also remove entries from layered service providers and LSPfix will re-order the remaining ones so that there are no gaps, which will prevent your browser from connecting.

#10 11bink11

11bink11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 05:08 PM

i'm sorry. I didn't undestand a word you said.

To help you out i'm on a MAC Laptop using a ethernet cable from my home windows Xp modem. I also have a windows 98 IBM Laptop if that will help.

#11 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 07:23 PM

Well, the idea is to download one of the files suggested above. Save it to your MAC. Then transfer it somehow, using a USB key, a CD-R, floppy? Whatever you have, to the PC with Windows XP. Once you have the file somewhere on the hard drive of the XP machine, preferably in its own folder that you make, double-click it, which will open either LSPfix or WinsockXP fix, whichever you have chosen, and it will repair your Winsock if that's why you can't get onto the internet with it. Just read the instructions for whichever program you choose. (The underlined words in the above posts are links to the files.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users