Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reader cannot open (Windows 8)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:14 PM

I have a fair number of PDF files, mostly downloaded job-related information about water resources etc. (I am a water district manager).  When I try to open one of these files from the documents listing in File Explorer, I get a message saying "This app can't open.  Reader can't open while File Explorer is running with Administrator privileges. Restart File Explorer normally and try again."

WTF?  Does that mean I have to set up a separate non-Admin account to read PDF files?  What is "normally" here?

At present I have only one account on this computer, of which for the time being I am the only user.  Ours is a very small agency (5 employees, only one of whom (my secretary) is likely to need to use this laptop occasionally.  She will need access to the same documents I use, so probably no need for a separate account.

Enlightenment?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:28 PM

If Explorer is running with admin privileges i.e. at high integrity level, then any Metro apps it launches will inherit that administrative access token, which is obviously a strict no-no as it will violate the sandboxed environment provided by the AppContainer integrity level. Hence the error message thrown.

You need to restart explorer.exe. Press CTRL+Shift+Esc and when the task manager opens, find Explorer in the process list and click restart.

See if that fixes the problem.

Edited by chrisd87, 20 February 2014 - 03:29 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 574 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

OK, where can I read up on "integrity level" etc.?  This is new to me (recently migrated from Win XP to Win 8).  Sounds as if I would have to restart File Explorer a couple of dozen times a day.  Better to use a lower privilege level throughout?  If so, how to do that?  Create another account and make it the default?

Thanks,

#4 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 574 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

FWIW I do not have this problem opening files in MS Word from the same File Explorer folders.

#5 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:56 PM

Whatever program you're using to view the .pdf documents is causing Explorer to run as admin when launched. You can try to reinstall the software and see if that fixes the problem. Is the current user an administrator on the PC, or do you run the program as a standard user?

Edited by chrisd87, 20 February 2014 - 03:57 PM.

#6 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 574 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:56 PM

I am the Admin on this computer, and so far the only user.  It will be a while, if ever, before there are other users.

What I have done is open File Explorer, navigate to the file I want and double-click to open it.  MS Word files - whether new ones created in Office 365 or older legacy files in compatibility mode - open without any problem.  PDF files do not.  They would be opened, by default, in Adobe Reader - which is apparently already present on this computer, at least I have not downloaded or installed it.  Perhaps I should do that?  

Those PDF files are located in the same folder or folders as the Word files that open w/o problems.

When I use Google (either in MSIE or in Chrome) to find PDF files online, they open without problem.  Then I download the same files (I am compiling a reference library for my own use as water district manager) and cannot open them when they are on my own HDD.

Would it help to find Adobe Reader in the Metro interface and pin it to the taskbar, as I have just done with MS Word?

#7 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 574 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:57 PM

Oops, I don't find Reader in the Metro interface ...

#8 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 574 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

Oops again - don't find Adobe or Reader anywhere in Program Files (either folder).

#9 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 574 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:49 PM

Update: solved the problem by installing Adobe Reader XI.  I take it then that "Reader" is a Windows app?  Slightly confusing?  Anyway, Adobe Reader XI opens without complaining when I double-click on a PDF file in File Explorer.

#10 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:34 AM

Sorry, I haven't had time to reply back. I was going to mention installing Adobe since you said you couldn't find it anywhere when searched.

Hope all goes well, and thanks for letting us know the problem is solved. Happy computing! :busy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users