Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP G60 laptop screen garbled/damaged

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 slavetothesound

slavetothesound

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

Laptop: HP G60 230us

I was called to fix this laptop due to the screen being dark (failed inverter and backlight). The CCFL had scorch marks and had melted where the wire attached from the inverter. After replacing both the inverter and CCFL in the LCD panel the screen turned on and worked normally to the windows login screen, then I powered down to finish reassembling the rest of the laptop. When I had finished I turned on the laptop again and found everything on the screen completely garbled. I ordered a replacement LCD panel and cable, assuming that I had damaged the panel since it was the first time I'd opened one up to replace a CCFL. Even with the new panel and cable the problem remains.

Instantly upon pressing the power button a pattern of lines appears and slowly fades to different colors through the boot process, eventually settling to mostly white/greenish with a black bar down the center of the panel when it sits at the login screen for a minute. No splash screens or POST are visible.

Output through VGA or HDMI to external monitors works normally.

Am I going to be replacing the mainboard on this now? Any ideas why this might have happened?

(The customer has a $3000 software license attached to this 6 year old laptop so replacement isn't an ideal option for him)

I am a new PC Technician and don't have a lot of interaction with co-workers or other techs (on-site tech company) so any advice you may have will be considered valuable to me. Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:13 PM

The DV and G series were plagued with video chip set problems, check on an external and see if it is ok there. It could also be a lose stick of ram or bad stick of ram. Have you run a memory test? Double check that the ram is firmly seated maybe re-seat the ram.

You can get memtest here: Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)

Burn the file to a disc and boot to the disc, you should run at least 1 full pass. It may take an hour to do so. If there are no errors the ram is likely ok.

Things to check if ram passes: make sure that there is no obvious damage to the main board lcd ribbon connection. Sometimes dust or hair can prevent contact which can cause video defects. Disconnect the ribbon cable, then use canned air on the main board lcd ribbon connection (the connection on the board itself) and then the ribbon cable end. This may get rid of debris which could be causing a problem.

EDIT: Not sure if you remove the battery and power adapter while doing work but please always do this. Main boards can easily be shorted and destroyed if a battery is left in while disassembling.

Edited by zingo156, 20 February 2014 - 02:16 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

I missed this: Output through VGA or HDMI to external monitors works normally.

Take note the only time in history I have seen an external work fine and the internal have issues which was related to a main board was on this exact model, the G60. I am not saying this is the case just yet... Double check that your connections are ok on both ends (check for damaged pins etc), from the mainboard to the ribbon cable and ribbon cable to lcd.

You can try to wiggle the cable with the computer turned on and see if it changes anything. I have had a few "new" ribbon cables that were bad.

Edited by zingo156, 20 February 2014 - 02:28 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 slavetothesound

slavetothesound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

External monitors work fine, but are only visible after windows has started. The customer is still using this computer on a daily basis for work. It is fully functional except for the built in display.

I'll go get some air and try on the connectors.

I'll admit I did plug in the laptop and power it on when it was still disassembled to see if the screen was properly connected and functional (it was at that time). Perhaps I forgot to remove the battery before finishing the reassembly and something could have happened during that time.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

It is ok to power the computer on for testing with it disassembled (if it is not on something conductive), just do not disconnect or connect any ribbon cables or components while it is on and has any power source plugged in either the battery or the power adapter.

One of my co-workers at my previous job did not remove a battery on a new lenovo with i7 when he replaced the led lcd panel. The new panel would not light up or work at all. Tested with multiple panels/ribbon cables after that. He handed it to me and I noticed that there was a burned spot on the main board where the traces went to the lcd ribbon. We were required to replace the main board. I was taught always to disconnect all power sources at a young age and have stuck by that since.

Edited by zingo156, 20 February 2014 - 02:59 PM.

#6 slavetothesound

slavetothesound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

Sounds like a very good rule. I will be double sure to follow it in the future. 

Blowing air on the connectors hasn't had any effect on the image and I have confirmed that the new display/new connector vs old display/old connector show the exact same image on screen, So it must be the mainboard.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:04 PM

It would seem that is the only obvious reason. One thing to double check: if I remember correctly on that model there was a ground screw with the ribbon cable (it was a separate black cable attached to the ribbon cable). Was that screw in place when testing? Some things to look at, the connector on the main board, if you can take a camera or phone camera, you may be able to take a picture and zoom in to inspect for damage. I have done this more than once in the past. You'd be surprised how much the naked eye can miss. Since it is the same on both ribbons/panels I might assume the connector itself or the main board.

The G60 that I had a problem with where the external was fine and the internal had a problem, the internal would display red freckles all over the internal but external was fine. I had 2 other g60's laying around, both of those worked with internal, I swapped the lcd assemblies and still the G60 displayed these red freckles. Before this computer I always assumed if it works on external it must be ribbon or lcd panel. The most obvious thing I missed: there are different traces on the main board that go to internal vs external outputs. This means it is easily possible for external to be fine but internal to have a problem.

Edited by zingo156, 20 February 2014 - 03:32 PM.

#8 slavetothesound

slavetothesound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:55 PM

I don't see any obvious scorch marks on the board, but I'm not going to pull it all the way out to where I can see it until the replacement arrives. I'll post back with how it goes.

Thanks a lot for the information. I'm a lot more comfortable ordering another part now. This gets stressful after 3 weeks of replacing components one at a time -they don't arrive very quickly out here in Montana- and the owner of the laptop becoming understandably frustrated. I even overnighted the new ribbon cable for the LCD and it didn't show up until the 6th day. This all reflects poorly on the business I represent and I'm not comfortable with that kind of attention until I'm more established in the company.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

Did you see any bent pins or missing pins on the connection at the main board? It does not need to be a scorch necessarily, it could be a scratched trace or just about anything. I nicked a trace on a desktop board once while putting on a heat sync, it went to a pci-e slot, consequently that pci-e slot no longer worked. The other pci-e slot above it still worked so the board was still usable to some extent. Let us know how the new board goes. The main board or gpu (likely soldered to the main board) is the last piece of the puzzle. Since the external works I would assume the gpu was ok, that would leave something related to a trace or circuit to the internal that is a problem. likely a new board will solve the problem.

I did have a few other instances I forgot about where external worked and internal did not, all of these cases had water damage so the main board was replaced.

#10 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

Make sure the inverters right. Leave it on for a while.

#11 slavetothesound

slavetothesound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:02 AM

I've had it on for decent periods of time, over an hour. I don't think the inverter will affect anything beyond the backlight being on or off.

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:46 AM

I've had it on for decent periods of time, over an hour. I don't think the inverter will affect anything beyond the backlight being on or off.

You are correct, the inverter will either be on or not or flashing, it only drives the backlight. Also the connector is keyed so it would be difficult to plug it in incorrectly.

#13 slavetothesound

slavetothesound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

Replaced motherboard, the issue persists. After some tinkering with an external plugged in, we can get it to work normally with the built in monitor - but eventually it will revert back to being a garbled mess on a restart. I'm going to see if i can figure out the sequence to get it working so I can see the BIOS and then try to update them.

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:49 AM

Was the new lcd panel identical to the old? Did all of the numbers match? I always order screens by exact model numbers example wxga156XXX rev 1.2 you need the added rev 1.2 or numbers following the wxga156XXX to be certain you have a matching panel. Are you taping the cable into the lcd panel? Sometimes these will come lose easily and cause the exact issue you have when it disconnects, I always tape them in well with something like kapton tape.

I might recommend building the pc out of the case (on a non conductive surface) just the main board, ram, cpu cooler and power adapter and internal display. Maybe there is a ground issue somewhere or something shorting it out. I had a laptop computer that had a lose screw that was stuck in a corner of the plastic bottom which was causing a no post. When built outside of the case it worked fine, put it back in and it was a no post. Took a while to realize there was a lose screw stuck in a corner. Luckily no damage was done...

The only other thing I might guess at, is if it has a separate magnetic switch to turn the lcd panel off or put the computer to sleep... I believe on the g60 this was built into the main board so this is not likely the cause since it happened on both boards. Sometimes opening and closing the lid will fix this or using a strong magnet over the switch.

EDIT: I added some things to this post read through it.

Example of kapton tape: http://www.amazon.com/Mil-Kapton-Tape-Polyimide-Yds/dp/B006ZFQNT6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1393348055&sr=8-3&keywords=kapton+tape

Edited by zingo156, 25 February 2014 - 01:37 PM.

#15 slavetothesound

slavetothesound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

We had it working outside of the case last night, then we rebuilt it and were able to get it working inside the case, but it's reverted this morning and my coworker isn't here to remind me exactly of the sequence we used .. it was after midnight so my memory is a little foggy.

EDIT:

I'm fairly certain it isn't a loose cable issue, we've got 2 sets of cables, 2 inverters, 2 LCD panels (both panels exact same model number) and 2 mainboards now. Issue occurs with any combination we've tried. When the panel does work it isn't completetly random, it won't change state (working/not working) while the pc is in use, only after a restart, perhaps complete power loss.

I just edited this post from the laptop in question. It's functional for now, but I think if I remove the battery it will revert, possibly if I just leave it shutdown for a period of time.

BIOS and drivers were brought up to date...

It also may be dependent upon the external monitor being plugged in..

Edited by slavetothesound, 25 February 2014 - 02:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users