Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Facebook to buy WhatsApp for $19bn

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

The social networking site Facebook has announced that it will buy the mobile messaging company WhatsApp in a deal worth $19 billion (USD). The $19bn will be mainly in the form of stocks ($15bn) with a cash sum of $4 billion.

WhatsApp is a popular messaging service, running on iOS, Android and Windows Phone, which allows users to message each other for free (the service is free for a year but then runs a subscription based system for $0.99 USD per year). It has a user base of some 450 million people who use the service every month, with 1 million new users joining the service every day, and has been seen as a major competitor to the conventional SMS messaging system.

Mark Zuckerberg, the founder and CEO of Facebook, said in the press statement that "WhatsApp is on a path to connect 1 billion people. The services that reach that milestone are all incredibly valuable".

As with its recent purchase of Instagram, Facebook have confirmed that WhatsApp will remain semi-independent and will be free to "set its own direction". The co-founder and CEO of WhatsApp, Jan Koum, is set to join Facebook's board of directors.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/facebook-buying-messaging-app-whatsapp-16b-22589830

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26266689

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

Makes me wonder what FB is really up to......

#3 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:15 PM

Good lord, it has begun.

Hey everyone I'm Allen I am a young web developer/designer/programmer I also help people with computer issues including hardware problems, malware/viruses infections and software conflicts. I am a kind and easy to get along with person so if you need help feel free to ask.

#4 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:48 PM

And I just try to stay out of it all.

#5 ranfan

ranfan

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:29 PM

Didn't know FB was even worth that much to begin with

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

Shows Facebook's commitment to invading the mobile world more extensively.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 ranfan

ranfan

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:58 PM

they're succeeding where myspace failed lol...

#8 guddiekay

guddiekay

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:08 PM

If I were to tell whatsapp anytin, I'd say "be careful and be in charge". Cus facebook got so much in porch so anytin is possible.

Edited by guddiekay, 20 February 2014 - 04:10 PM.

#9 Manish Nasa

Manish Nasa

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

:clapping:  :hysterical: 1 million new users joining the service every day :clapping:  :hysterical:

Poor Snowden!!!

#10 surajsonar

surajsonar

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:36 AM

see what changes can make mark zuckerberg in whats app  :bananas:

#11 Ted Striker

Ted Striker

• Members
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:51 PM

I read an article on another Website about this deal that said Facebook paid less for WhatsApp than they did for Instagram if you calculate the cost for each user who's registered to the service.  However, $19 Billion still seems outrageous especially when you compare that amount to what certain companies are worth.  BlackBerry's market cap is currently $5.35 Billion and they generate over $1 Billion each quarter in revenue. 

#12 kosmonaft

kosmonaft

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:26 AM

When you are loosing millions on monthly basis you can do that.

http://furg.net/ - Free online games 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users